Buttercream And Humid Weather

Baking By Bev55 Updated 19 Dec 2009 , 1:00pm by leah_s

Bev55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bev55 Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 11

I was making a baby shower cake this weekend. We had rainy, humid weather. My buttercream wasn't cooperating with me. Is there anything that I can do to make my buttercream more stable in rainy, humid weather? Even my graham cracker houses are softer today due to the humidity. Any suggestions???

10 replies
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 11

Less liquid in the recipies.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 4:24pm
post #3 of 11

I have to use MP in my icing in the summer because of the humidity. I can get away with out it in the winter when it is more drier.

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 4:38pm
post #4 of 11

It helps if your cake is cold.

I literally have put the decorating bags on those freeze block things in between colors.

Other wise what Texas Sugar said, meringue powder.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 4:51pm
post #5 of 11

A dehumidifier in the kitchen or room where you decorate is a great investment if you have any frequency of humid weather in your area.

Stefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stefy Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 5:18pm
post #6 of 11

Unless you're going to put a big ole humidifier over the entire state of Florida I don't really see how that solves the problem once you leave the house??

Bev55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bev55 Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 6:32pm
post #7 of 11

Thank you for your replies. I did add mp to my buttercream last night because my students were making graham cracker houses today. Then the humidity affected the graham crackers. Oh, well!!! The students did complete and enjoy making their houses.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 8:10pm
post #8 of 11

I have no idea why, but you might give my icing a try .... I've never had my icing not work right because of the weather. Never knew humidity was a factor until I read about it here on CC. I've no idea why .... I only know it works fine for me no matter what the weather.

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 7:51am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefy

Unless you're going to put a big ole humidifier over the entire state of Florida I don't really see how that solves the problem once you leave the house??

Too funny and so true!
Try IndyDebi's recipe, it holds up in my area of TX. We can start the day; nice, dry and cool and end, all hot & sweaty. Then get to the next day and do it in reverse.

I'm thinking it's the Dream Whip.

Enchantedcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Enchantedcakes Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 12:08pm
post #10 of 11

I am having issues with the humidity as well this week. It has rained every day here including all day yesturday and now my gumpaste
bow that was hard is now sagging and my buttercream cakes are in the freezer. Thankfully it is suposed to clear up today so that I can do some repair work before the cakes are due later today.

Anyone who thinks Flrida is the sunshine state should try living here! 100% hummidity and raining all month of December.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 1:00pm
post #11 of 11

Th Whipped Cream Buttercream recipe in the Recipes Section here is heat and humidity stable. There's no cream in it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%