What About Your Friends?

Lounge By kimmypooh79 Updated 16 Dec 2009 , 2:12am by 7yyrt

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 11:20am
post #1 of 9

My friends have had my cake and raved about them. They were forever telling me to get some cards made up and so I did. I gave 5 of my friends several cards. 3 of those friends have had 4 childrens birthdays and didn't ask me to do their cakes....what gives? They want me to open a bakery but what's the point if they aren't going to buy from me. Just venting.

8 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 12:02pm
post #2 of 9

My friends are the opposite...they want to be the only one I bake for, or they recommend me to a ton of people even after I have explained that I do not have a bakery and don't bake for people I don't know.

I guess what it really comes down to is that our friends never do exactly what we're expecting them to icon_biggrin.gif

Another thing about kids' cakes is that the ones at the grocery store with the toys on top look really appealing to most kids. They can see those and beg for them every time they go to the store.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 9

Hmmm, maybe they want you to open a bakery because they feel that you have a talent in this area.

I have a friend who does chocolate sculptures. I've told her to start a business but I am not planning to buy anything--mostly because I can't afford it.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 3:48pm
post #4 of 9

I think people around us say, "hey you have talent you should open a bakery" when they really have no idea what all goes into it. It sounds all good and fun, until you start adding up all the money it costs and the bills you incure. And often times these same friends want a deep friend discount or free cakes still.

Years ago when I first started doing cakes, I had two requests for birthday cakes for my cousin's kids and that was it. It bothered me at first because I thought maybe it meant they didn't like my cakes. But I got over it and decided that it was their choice and I didn't know any of their real reason's behind it.

Recently my grandma had her 83rd birthday, my uncle told me they were doing a surprise party for her and they ordered a cake. "Umm, hello? You ordered a cake for my grandma's birthday?" Okay I didn't say that, but I sure thought it. I figured he knew I was working a full time job and a part time job and the party was decided last minute, so maybe he just figured I didn't have time. I would have made time of course, but at the same time I didn't have to stay up until the wee hours of the morning to get it done, then turn work 12 hours the next day at two jobs.

You can ask them why, or you can guess they have reasons. Maybe the party was planned last minute, maybe they didn't want you to think they are taking advantage of you, maybe they wanted you to come and enjoy the party with out having to spend hours before time baking, maybe they just simply had a brain fart and forgot you did cakes.....

It really could have been a number of things, but don't let it get you down. They think you have talent, isn't that the important thing?

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 9

Yup! Friends want free or discount cakes!

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 6:20pm
post #6 of 9

If all those people who say, "hey, you should open a bakery!", knew what opening a bakery really entailed.... they'd run screaming.

chefbarbie0513 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefbarbie0513 Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 7:38pm
post #7 of 9

I know how you feel. When I first started doing cakes I brought them into my office, (we have about 200 people here). Everyone raves about my cakes..... They love the free cake. I havent gotten but maybe 2 orders and those are from the same lady. Very small $30 orders. It kinda hurts my feelings because they all said I should get cards but when they have a childs birthday or something no one asks me to do it. The one time my boss asked me to do a cake she wanted it for free. I told her no.

I have just had to get over it. It isnt eay but I understand why it bothers you.

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 9:37pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks for your responses....you are ALL right. I hope I can get past it but it does bother me.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 2:12am
post #9 of 9

Just because they said you should open a bakery, didn't mean they were going to buy your product.
Any time someone has talent, people tell them they should go 'pro'.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%