If You Are Not Licensed To Bake From Home

Decorating By grandmaruth Updated 15 Dec 2009 , 10:47pm by JanH

grandmaruth Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 11:17am
post #1 of 7

and you rent a kitchen, for example in a church or school....is just baking the cake there enough to be considered legal? Can i then take it home to decorate it etc? ( sorry if this is a "stupid" question, just something i was wondering)

6 replies
-K8memphis Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 11:26am
post #2 of 7

No you have to do all the work there.
We've all thought it one time or another.

pattycakesnj Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 11:47am
post #3 of 7

Check with your state, each one is different. Some states that don't allow home baking still allow you to decorate cakes that you have bought frozen, decorate and sell. Some states allow you to make gumpaste decorations at home (they don't consider them edible) so you need to check.

-K8memphis Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 12:51pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakesnj

Check with your state, each one is different. Some states that don't allow home baking still allow you to decorate cakes that you have bought frozen, decorate and sell.

Which state is that, Patty?

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 1:47pm
post #5 of 7

Texas, I can't sell my gum paste flowers.

Check with your state.

-K8memphis Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 2:17pm
post #6 of 7

You actually have to check with your county or parish-- with your local government. For example my state allows Farmer's Market type baking and selling.

In some parts of my state that's enough wiggle room for some people to work out of their home with the blessings of thier local people.

However decorated cake in my county is not under that jurisdiction. It's considered catering. It's not allowed and they do shut people down.

I doubt that anywhere will go so far as to allow you to bake elsewhere then assemble food products at an unapproved/unapprovable location as a viable continuous business.

JanH Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 10:47pm
post #7 of 7

...moving this from Business forum. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%