What Fondant Do You Use?

Decorating By kileyscakes Updated 15 Dec 2009 , 2:27pm by tiggy2

kileyscakes Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 5:22am
post #1 of 11

Hi, I was just wondering what fondant people use for their cakes and decorations. Satin Ice? I have used wiltons because that is what we used in class and that is so gross but I did like to use it to make my roses. Is there really any out there that actually tastes good? I have made mmf that worked pretty well but I would rather just be able to buy it in the bucket and just have it on hand. I have tried to steer clear of fondant all together and just use buttercream and candy clay decorations but I really would like to use fondant on my cakes, I really like the clean look. maybe I am so traumatized by wilton fondant that I don't trust any other kind, lol. I want everything eating not peeled off and wasted!!
thanks alot in advance!!

10 replies
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 6:04am
post #2 of 11

Hi, kileyscakes! I used MMF a few months ago for my sister-in-law's ladybug baby shower cake. I was pleasantly amazed to see that almost everyone ate the piece of fondant that was attached to their piece of cake. icon_razz.gif Here is the link to the recipe I made:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2148/easy-marshmallow-fondant

However, I realize from your post that you are in search of something you can purchase ready-made. I have heard great things about Satin Ice from my cake supply shop (although I've never used it). I have also seen raves about it here on CC.

Hope you find something you enjoy working with and that your guests will love to eat! icon_smile.gif

11cupcakes Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 6:21am
post #3 of 11

I used white chocolate MASSA Grischuna sold by Albert Uster before and like it, but recently I tried Satin Ice and have to say that I am very impressed. Easy to work with, great taste, nice texture and great price.So I think it's my new favorite. And you can also add some gum tragacanth to it to make your own gum paste.

Jopalis Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 6:24am
post #4 of 11

My friend swears by FondX.... It tastes pretty good too.

prterrell Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 6:58am
post #5 of 11

I use Satin Ice. It tastes great!

Rylan Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 7:54am
post #6 of 11

I like the taste of Chocopan. I've used Satin Ice and Fondx a lot.

My ultimate favorite is Jennifer Dontz's fondant. It is the best tasting fondant I've ever had. I'm telling you, it is totally the best.

newbaker55 Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 10:16am
post #7 of 11

Rylan...where can I find the recipe for Jennifer Dontz's fondant?

Texas_Rose Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 12:09pm
post #8 of 11

I use MMF. I make it with my mixer so it's not that much work at all, and it's cheap enough for me to play with. Most people eat it, especially when it's flavored to go with the cake.

I've actually never bought any fondant, Wilton or otherwise...I've been too pleased with the fondant I can make to try anything else.

scionmom Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 12:17pm
post #9 of 11

To cover most of my cakes I usually make my own MMF and people love it and are pleasantly surprised with the taste. However, for my presents cake I just did I bought the red and green... I used both Satin Ice and Fondarific and in my opinion I like the fondarific much better. Easier to work with,and tastes better. But I also agree with Rylan, the chocopan chocolate is soooo yummy... tastes like tootsie rolls.

Rylan Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 2:16pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbaker55

Rylan...where can I find the recipe for Jennifer Dontz's fondant?

The recipe is on her DVD. You will have to get it for the recipe and the instructions. It also comes with extra tutorials.

http://www.jenniferdontz.com/viewproduct.php?itemid=dvd001

It is totally worth it. You can roll it so thin without breaking. I've rolled this fondant as thin as paper and had no breakage.

tiggy2 Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 2:27pm
post #11 of 11

I also love Jennifer Dontz's fondant. It's all I use now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%