Can I Add Meringue Powder To Store Bought Frosting Tubs?

Decorating By Tug Updated 15 Dec 2009 , 4:25pm by sadsmile

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 2:26am
post #1 of 7

I'm doing a school project with 4 year olds and per school policy can only use store bought products. I need the frosting to dry quickly and firm up stiff, but edible. Do any of you know if I can add meringue powder to the store bought tub of frosting and have it behave in the manner I need?

If so, how much do I add to one tub?

Thanks in advance.

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 2:41am
post #2 of 7

Simple answer: Yes.
Next ? : Why? MP is NOT what makes icing 'set up'......it's the amount of sugar to fat that causes it to crust. Thicken it w/powdered sugar.

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 2:45am
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

MP is NOT what makes icing 'set up'......it's the amount of sugar to fat that causes it to crust. Thicken it w/powdered sugar.

hmmmm, since MP is added into royal icing for stiffness, I assumed I would add it to the frosting tub. You made a good point about adding more PS.

sweet-thing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-thing Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 2:48am
post #4 of 7

It sounds like you are wanting it to get firm like in RI? Not just crust like buttercream? I have no idea if that would work though.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 2:49am
post #5 of 7

MP is NOT added to RI for stiffness. RI is egg white + powdered sugar. Meringue powder is dried egg whites plus cream of tartar (and sometimes some other ingred to help w/ the stabilization of the egg whites), you mix it with water and use as a replacement for fresh egg whites in the RI recipe.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 4:22pm
post #6 of 7

I would add powder sugar or cornstarch to the icing.

Have you thought about using Wilton's icing in the tub? It is a little thicker than the regular store bought and will crust over slightly.

Also will they let you use a powder mix that you add water too? If so then Wilton also has some royal icing mix for their gingerbread houses.

Or another option would be fondant. icon_smile.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 4:25pm
post #7 of 7

Your best bet is to use Wilton's small cans of white decorator icing. It is stiffer already.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%