Gumpaste/fondant Pieces

Decorating By paula1234 Updated 15 Dec 2009 , 3:52am by paula1234

paula1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula1234 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 8:00pm
post #1 of 6

Hpw long in advance would you cut out your fondant or gumpaste pieces to put on a cake. My son took a cake to his Christmas party at work and came back with 10 cake orders. I was wondering why he kept calling and and asking me questions. I figured I would get one or two orders, not 10. Here's the kicker, they are all due on the same day. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!

5 replies
creations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creations Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 8:14pm
post #2 of 6

a week in advance

paula1234 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 6

I have left mine out that long before and they seem dull, how do i keep them bright.

mama2aredhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama2aredhead Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 6

holy smokes.. u r going to be busy!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 9:15pm
post #5 of 6

first of all, repember you are allowed to say no! 10 cakes in one day (unless u are in a shop/ business with helpers!) is just crazy.

gumpaste could be done months in advance, it will dry brick hard and keep really well.
fondant, it depends what you are doing with it. if its just cut outs for the side of the cake, personally, id do it on the day - or you can sandwich them in clingfilm so they stay soft, but i havent tried it, might give you longer. if its figures, then whenever you want - again wrapped will keep them softer.

i would think you ould brighten things up again either by steaming them, or rubbing in a bit of crisco.
xx

paula1234 Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 3:52am
post #6 of 6

I so have help, my boys are great at helping. I have MS and my 17 year old is my fondant roller outer when I have to cover a cake. I guess I will do the pieces the day before and attach them. Does anyone have any experience with patchwork cutters?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%