How Do I Write In Gold?

Decorating By charleezgal Updated 14 Dec 2009 , 7:29pm by tonedna

charleezgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleezgal Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 4:25pm
post #1 of 8

I need to do some scrolling and some simple writing in gold to go on a black cake? Any suggestions? Do they sell any icing that writes in gold?

7 replies
melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 8

I don't know about icing, but could you paint it on with gold airbrush paint?

charleezgal Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 4:49pm
post #3 of 8

I don't have any airbrush supplies. I was just wondering if there was such a thing as gold edible pens, or what people use to pipe in gold.

cakefairy03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy03 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 8

Not sure if you have either of these, but I'm pretty sure it was tonedna that said she mixed gold luster/pearl dust with piping gel to do some scrolls/writing in gold and it looked beautiful!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 5:13pm
post #5 of 8

The airbrush colors can be painted on with a paintbrush...if there's a cake decorating supply store near you, you could probably get a little bottle of gold airbrush color.

Wilton's gold dust will not show up on black fondant, if that's all you have time to get, then I would pipe the designs on with yellow royal icing, let it dry and then paint it with the gold wilton dust mixed with a clear extract or vodka.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 5:20pm
post #6 of 8

You can do 2 things, either put gold dust in piping gel and pipe with it (you have to put enough) or, you can pipe with royal icing and hand paint it with the gold dust.
I have handpainted over buttercream, but it would need to be crusting buttercream. And you painted after is crust well..
Edna icon_smile.gif

charleezgal Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 7:15pm
post #7 of 8

Edna,

Since I've never worked with piping gel, OR gold dust before, is there any quick tips you can give me on using them together? I'm up for learning and trying new things and I will purchase these two things tomorrow.

I did see one of your cakes awhile back that you did with gold on it. It was beautiful.

Thanks for your help.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 7:29pm
post #8 of 8

Use a good quality piping gel that is not too runny. You will have to add enough powder to the gel
so it gets a really deep color. Mix it well. You can put the piping gel on the fridge so it gets
a stronger consistency. Main thing you have to watch is that the piping gel is not a runny one.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%