Have You Ever Baked A Cake In A Bottle?

Decorating By LilaUK Updated 15 Dec 2009 , 2:47am by LilaUK

LilaUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LilaUK Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 9:11am
post #1 of 11

I saw a blog for baking cakes in glass canning jars and wondered if anyone has ever tried baking a cake in a glass bottle, like a wine/champagne/fruit juice bottle?

I want to make a champagne bottle cake for a new years party and I haven't ever tried sugar. Its going to be alongside a clock so it doesn't have to "feed" people but I would like it to be actual cake. The cakes I have seen, aren't as realistic as the sugar bottles, so i thought by baking a cake in a bottle, then breaking the bottle and removing the cake, I might get a smoother bottle shape. I suck at carving so i dont want to even attempt that. I know it won't be smooth or realistic.

I might bake in some tin cans ...

Any other ideas? I don't know how to get that shape, especially the curved thin part of the top of the bottle. And would I need to insert some support while baking to ensure it stood up?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

10 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 9:30am
post #2 of 11

Doug has provided info on making an edible vodka bottle cake which could be carved in a wine bottle shape:

http://tinyurl.com/yc94owx

IMHO, there are too many things that could go wrong baking or smashing a cake baked in an actual bottle to make it a viable consideration.

HTH

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 11:48am
post #3 of 11

I personally can see many reasons why NOT to cook in a bottle. But how about making round cakes of varying diameters and to get the neck part if you dont like carving how about using ricecrispy treats or marzipan and model that part or even polystyrine.

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 12:08pm
post #4 of 11

yeh i would be very concerned about getting pieces of glass in the cake when the bottle is broken.

I was thinking maybe you could bake a cake in those round cylinder nut loaf tins for the main part of the bottle and then do another one to use to carve for the neck part of the bottle? or you can even do the neck part of the bottle as rice kripie treats?

To attach either on to the main round cake part you can maybe do that with icing and a dowel or straw

Anyhoo just some suggestions

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 12:20pm
post #5 of 11

carving takes practice , which is why if i need to make a funky shape , i practice first its the only way you will learn and get better at it, a bottle shouldn't be to difficult and i like the idea of moulding the neck from something else, like the old saying goes practice makes perfect and im sure you will be able to find someone to hide the evidence if it goes pair shaped my brother is always willing to eat my mishaps and disastersicon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 12:35pm
post #6 of 11

If you could find a plastic bottle the shape that you wanted the neck of the bottle to be, you could mold the top part of the bottle from rice krispie treats by cutting off that top section of the bottle and just packing the rice krispie treats in. Then cover the rice krispie treats with candy melts or almond bark coating. Make the lower section out of cake.

The reason you can't bake in a glass bottle and then break the bottle is that glass doesn't break into only one or two pieces, there are always small slivers and little bits almost too tiny to see, and if you missed any in the cake, they could cut up someone's insides when they ate the cake.

Jocelijne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocelijne Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 1:26pm
post #7 of 11

hmm I wont bake in a bottle although it sounds cool icon_smile.gif But im too affraid what the other girls mention too the little pieses of glass... issnt there a mould on ebay?

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 1:50pm
post #8 of 11

I've seen certain kinds of cakes baked in wide mouth mason jars. As to baking in a bottle, I can't imagine how you'd get the bottle broken away without micro pieces of glass getting on the cake. Not to mention breaking away the slender neck with the cake staying intact? Even if you didn't plan to eat it there'd be a chance that someone would try, and the risk wouldn't be worth it. I knew of a woman who lost a lot of her gut because she ingested a teeny tiny piece of foil in a baked potato. I would think you'd be better off trying to carve the shape you want from cake in the first place, and save yourself a lot of frustration. Good luck!

LilaUK Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 11:05pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks everyone. I didnt really think about all the shards of glasss, I was kinda thinknig if I put it in some cold water while it was still hot, the glass would crack and I cud jimmy it open, but that wasn't really well thought out :0S

Thanks fro the link tot hat cake, it looks great!!! But a lot more work than I think I have time for.

I think I will try baking in a couple of tin cans and then maybe carve or use rice krispies since they will be more sturdy. I wonder if I cud find a nice shaped plastic bottle to shape the top in..

Thanks again everyone!! You saved me from eating bits of glass icon_smile.gif

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 1:54am
post #10 of 11

maybe you could make your own mold from the bottle with aluminum foil

http://www.bukisa.com/articles/106413_how-to-make-a-cake-mold

LilaUK Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 2:47am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrycanary62

maybe you could make your own mold from the bottle with aluminum foil

http://www.bukisa.com/articles/106413_how-to-make-a-cake-mold

Thanks I'll look into that. I am pretty sure when you pour the batter in, the mld would just straighten out and distort the shape but interest concept.

Have you ever tried it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%