When Should I Start Doing Wedding Cakes?

Decorating By masturbaker Updated 14 Dec 2009 , 1:51pm by leah_s

masturbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
masturbaker Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 7:40am
post #1 of 5

Hey all! I'm not sure if this is the right section for this.. but I'm less than a year into the cake biz. So far I've had some really great customers and great experiences. I've been asked several times about wedding cakes... Now, I have only done one wedding. And it was a very small wedding, 25 guests, and it was a relatively simple stacked cake, nothing crazy elaborate or anything. I've been steering clear of the wedding cakes because I feel like that that is a lot of added stress and pressure! A wedding is a very special day, and although I'm confident in my decorating skills, i'm not sure if I want to deal with bridezillas ya know?

Can any of you tell me what were your experiences with your first wedding? Did you ever feel like you were in over your head?

Thanks so much!

4 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 7:43am
post #2 of 5

Moving this to cake decorating... icon_smile.gif

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 9:37am
post #3 of 5

The very first decorated cake I made was a three-tiered wedding cake (10-8-6). I had been an experienced baker for years, but had never decorated a cake fancy or stacked a cake. I just jumped right in with both feet.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 1:32pm
post #4 of 5

I did my first wedding cake this last August. I'm just a hobby baker and it was incredibly stressful but it's an amazing feeling to know I made a wedding cake! Like Mensch said, you just have to jump in with both feet and do it if you're thinking about adding wedding cakes to your business. You'll only ever have to make your first wedding cake once!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 1:51pm
post #5 of 5

Wedding cakes are a different biz entirely. It IS more stressful, because you must understand that there can be no mistakes. Other than that, I'd say you should start them after you're licensed, if licensing is required in your city/state. More and more venues are requiring proof of licensing and insurance when you deliver the wedding cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%