Looking For A Light, Moist Sponge Cake...and Not Too Sweet

Baking By BecuzImAGurl Updated 14 Dec 2009 , 6:13am by BecuzImAGurl

BecuzImAGurl Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 4:24am
post #1 of 3

Please help...I've tried so many recipes...I just find American cakes WAY too sweet. I wanted to find a good sponge cake or something like sponge thats light and moist. Oh, and definitely not too sweet...I rather the fillings be a bit sweet but not the cake....

I loved Macsmom's list of flavors and it would have tasted so good if it wasnt so sweet...I already cut the sugar in half! Still the cakes tasted like a cube of sugar! Everyone else who tried her cake recipes say they all got raving reviews but I make 4 cakes for my brother's birthday and out of 10 people only one 6 inch square cake was eatten with ALOT of leftovers in the plates like probably only half the cake is eaten!! As I say taste-wise is great just the sweetness turned everyone off! They are teenage kids too!! I spent so many hours on making 4 different flavored cakes too! slept at 5am woke at 8am to finish it...Maybe use only 1/4 sugar called in the recipe?? icon_cry.gif

2 replies
JanH Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 5:02am
post #2 of 3

A 6" cake serves 12 (1-1/2 x 2x 4") .

Just curious, but what size portions were you anticipating the 10 guests should/wanted to eat that you made four cakes?

Don't think the left overs were the result of too sweet cake recipes but rather overestimation of what a portion should be on your end. In which case, I would have just sent everyone home with a piece of birthday cake!

Sponge cake recipes:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-662235-.html

HTH

BecuzImAGurl Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 6:13am
post #3 of 3

Because I know very well how much these kids eat...my brother can finish one whole 6 inch cake by himself...when I made those not so sweet kinds, of course...and their cake slices are double the normal slices...so a 6 inch can serve sometime 4-6 people...haha that is hard to believe but yea...because when I normally make a 8 or 9 inch it feeds about 5-6 peopl... hahahaa

Thanks for the link!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%