Strange Occurrences Following Death Of A Loved One

Lounge By adonisthegreek1 Updated 2 Jun 2010 , 8:13pm by cakeschmake

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 3:12am
post #1 of 81

My dad died suddenly two months ago. We were extremely close, and I miss him tremendously. I always cooked for him and he loved everything that I made. A couple of weeks ago things were moved around in my kitchen and I was the only one home. I was puzzled, but didn't think too much about it. I was talking to my daughter a few days ago and she said that she wanted to tell me something, but didn't want me to think she was crazy. She had the same experience with things in the kitchen being moved and no one else was home.

Last night, I woke up startled by a noise downstairs. I went downstairs and when I hit the bottom stair it was freezing like someone had walked in and left the front door open. Immediately, my father's scent filled the room. I'm just wondering if anything like this has happened to others.

80 replies
MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 3:14am
post #2 of 81

yes. After my dad passed several of us family members experienced things.

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 7:19am
post #3 of 81

I still have experiences with my mom and others. It's just their way of being part of our lives. She actually saved my son's life and my life as well. Andrew was only 3 months old when I heard my mom telling me to get up and check on him. I ignored her the first two times and then she yelled in my ear and literally pulled on my shoulders. I went over to him and he wasn't breathing. I screamed and she told me to whack him on the back. I did it and suddenly he took a deep breath and started crying. While he was crying, I could hear her whispering "He's gonna be alright."

The other time was when my husband was gone and it was just me and my alligator(dog). We had a wood burning stove and the flue somehow closed and the house became engulfed in smoke. The smoke detectors weren't working even though I had just checked them a week prior. I could hear her whispering "baby girl, you have to get up". She said that a couple more times and finally she PICKED me up and screamed "GET OUT OF THE HOUSE". I know I would have died had she not woken me up.

My kids have seen their nana, grandfather, great-grandfather and my mom's grandmother. I always tell them to tell whomever is there that we love them and miss them terribly. My grandfather always used to scare Bella until I told her to tell him to stop. He did and now he just makes her laugh.

If your father scares you, just tell him. Sometimes they don't know they are doing it. He just doesn't want you to forget him (like you could). Talk to him. Sometimes when I'm really lonely and miss her, I will ask her to come into my dreams and help me. She always has. On Tuesday, it will be eight years since I lost my mother and I still miss her terribly.

ShelleyMJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelleyMJ Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 12:41pm
post #4 of 81

I am so sorry for your loss.

Yes, I have also had loved ones communicate with me after their passing.

Our family was devistated 5 yrs ago when my 3 yr old niece passed away very inexpectedly. She loved to come to my house and we would sit at my keyboard and sing. Since her passing, I hear her sweet little voice sing Jesus Loves Me, pretty regularly. Most often during Christmas. The last picture that was made of her was just before Christmas. She was wearing a sweet little red dress. Somehow her picture gets turned but only during the holidays. It's as though she is playing in the room.

My oldest daughter has a guardian angel. He is my ex husbands uncle who I never met. He passed away long before we married. My oldest daugher had very bad fevers during her sleep. Every time she had a fever, her guardian angel would slap me on the feet in the middle of the night and lead me to my daughers room. He would appear at her bed and watch me as I tended to her needs.

My husband didn't believe me until we were at a family members home looking at old pictures. I pointed him out in pictures and surprised the entire family. Apparently, he died in the house we were living in at the time.

I agree with ladyellem, if he is scaring you, tell him. It is ok to talk to your dad.

Again, I am sorry for your loss.

edited for a spelling error.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 1:05pm
post #5 of 81

I think things happen like that. When my first son died, I obsessed about his marker being in place. I called the cemetery every day asking when it would be done. THey finally said they had placed it. When I went to see it for the first time, (this cemetery is in the middle of our town of about 50,000) I was looking at the marker, looked up and there was a doe and a baby fawn standing not 20 yards away - they stayed there the whole time I was there, and when I got in my car to leave, they slowly walked away. I have NO doubt that it was my son letting me know it was ok.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 1:53pm
post #6 of 81

These stories creep me out, but I have the same kind of experiences.

When my mother died a couple of years ago, things started falling off of the walls. I finally said out loud, "Mama, I know that it's you doing that, and we know that you're here, so could you show us in a way that's a little less destructive?" icon_lol.gif Things stayed up after that.

I always feel like my grandfather is around, and when I told my mother that years ago she said that she did, too. I was telling my husband about how I'd once taken the kids to see the Federal Reserve Museum here, where they have one example of every type of currency ever used in the U.S. (It sounds like a weird place to take kids, but my son was interested in coins when he was little.) On the way home from the museum I was rooting around for toll money, and I found a penny with the wheat sheaves on it, so I gave it to my son. I assumed that was my grandfather working because I've always heard that you'll find pennies around as signs they've been there. It was too coincidental that I'd find a "collectible" coin for my 6-yr-old on the way home from the museum.

So anyway...I told my husband about that a few years later when we were talking about ghosts, and he just laughed at me and said I was crazy. I said that it was a 1941 wheat penny, and he wanted to know the significance of 1941. I told him I was just using that date as an example, I didn't remember what year it was, and he laughed at me for a while longer. Later that day, he came downstairs and said "what do you think I found on my dresser?" Yes, it was a 1941 wheat penny. I thought he was making fun of me again, but he was freaked out. Ha Ha Ha.

adonisthegreek1 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 4:57pm
post #7 of 81

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. No, I'm not afraid, I was just shocked at first. I've never experienced anything like this. I welcome my dad's presence.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 6:13pm
post #8 of 81

Yes-when my grandad died, my aunt was 18. She woke up one night and (strangely similar to yours...) saw something in the kitchen and felt him there. She said he told her goodbye.

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 11:07am
post #9 of 81

Once when I was driving home from my MIL's house on a two lane road. I saw 4 headlights coming at me because someone was in my lane. I was frozen but at the last minute something jerked my wheel, and I ended up on the side of the road then ALL the dash lights went crazy. I knew that someone was with me and had just saved me from a head on collision. I'm pretty sure it was my aunt cuz sometimes I'd smell her perfume. I called my DH completely freaked out by what had happened.

Also, sometimes I hear my grandmother whistling. And my DH's grandmom comes around, too.

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 11:56am
post #10 of 81

Oh I definitely believe! When my favorite aunt died 10 years ago she made her precense known in so many ways. My mom and their other sisters stayed in Philly with my aunt for the last few of months of her life. My aunt died in Philly but was to be buried in IL so we all flew from Philly to Chicago. When we got to my mom's house, my mom walked in her bedroom and let out a shriek. Neatly laid out on her bed was an all black outfit, the very outfit she had been thinking about wearing to the funeral. No one had in been in that house for 3 months.

On the day of her funeral, I was getting dressed in the room where my aunt used to stay whenever she visited my mom. I reached out to switch on the stereo when all of a sudden loud, funereal music started blasting from the speakers. I was so shaken I ran out of the room in just my bra and knickers. When I had composed myself I went back to the room to switch off the music but before I could even touch the stereo, the music stopped as abruptly as it had started. This was an old fashioned stereo that didn't have a remote control.

I still dream of my aunt at least once a week and it's always about happy, everyday activities that makes me feel she's still very much a part of my life.

I'm a reluctant medium because I seem to always have supernatural encounters although I try very much not to pay attention to them.

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 5:10pm
post #11 of 81

I have heard that a common sign of a passed is their scent. I have not had any experiences myself but my husband has (his whole life) when our first child, Martin, was an infant he was sleeping in our bed and it is pretty tall. Someone woke my husband up by whispering in his ear "Catch Martin!" Luckily my husband woke up and found our baby seconds from falling head first down our bed. I was so scared when my husband told me the next morning because if our baby would have fallen he could very well have broken his neck. On the other hand, it is nice to know he has someone looking after him. My husband thinks it was his aunt (that he was very close with).

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 7:34pm
post #12 of 81

I believe too! I have not actually seen anyone while I was awake but I have had several dreams (a few a year) about a beloved childhood friend who died a few years ago. In my dreams he is always happy and joking (just as he was when he was alive). In one particular dream he told me to stop worrying because he was alright. I had a nasty car accident a year ago Thursday and I truly believe he was there because I made it out without a scratch when I very well could have died.

We lost my aunt in the 9/11 attacks and we all so badly wanted her to "come" to us and let us know she was ok. I only once had a dream about her in all these years since but other family members dream about her often. In their dreams she is as she was before her passing.

I too have smelled a loved ones scent. Its only my grandpa ever though, none of the other people I have lost. It will come about at random times but it is most certainly his "scent".

I am glad I opened this thread. Someone people do not believe and I am glad others do and I am not "crazy".

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 8:28pm
post #13 of 81

I am so glad I did not read this thread right before bed. Things like the CREEP ME OUT. I prefer the dead to be gone and waiting in Heaven...although many years ago when my children were babies, I am quite convinced we had similar supernatural happenings. For me, it was quite terrifying, even though I thought it was a family member!!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 1:57pm
post #14 of 81

This is one of my favorite topics as I am a true believer, and have even served as a medium for a few of my friends. My son has that gift too. The other day we were standing in the front room of the house and he was staring at *nothing*, then pointed and said, "Mom, what's his name?" This is the same son that I 'met' like four years before he was born. (My dead grandmother introduced him) There is a thread somewhere here on CC about it. It's amazing.

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 2:09pm
post #15 of 81

Wow Melvira! That is wild. When you say the son you met four years before he was born, did you mean that you actually saw/met your little boy before you got pregnant with him? And by the way, love the new hair in your avatar, suits you so nicely!

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 3:32pm
post #16 of 81

Melvira that sounds like my mother-in-law's story. She says that her grandmother-in-law (my dh's great-grandma) used to talk about seeing my dh months before he was born. She wasn't even pregnant yet. I really believe the mind is capable of things we cannot even conceive.

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 3:45pm
post #17 of 81

When I was pregnant with my son, my FIL(Peter) was in the hospital. I had dreamt about two little boys and the blonde chubby one was so beautiful but somehow I knew he wasn't going to stay. I woke up and told my husband, he had better go to the hospital because I knew Peter was going to die that day. I told him to tell Peter everything he ever wanted to say to him. When he came back he asked me how I knew and I told him about the beautiful chubby boy. I had never seen a picture of Peter when he was little and when my husband showed me one, I said "that's the little boy who played with Andrew and myself".

I was so sad when the little boy left in my dreams, but it was nothing compared to losing older Peter. He was one of the finest men who ever walked this Earth.

My daughter started saying a name over and over in her head. It is a name that most people wouldn't even know about unless you have very, very old Mexican women in your family. I asked her where she had heard that name and she told me "the lady told me to call her that". Her name was Cuca and was my mom's favourite grandmother. I had never mentioned that name, not even to my husband. Bella loves her Cuca!

Melvira Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 8:40pm
post #18 of 81

Erica, thank you for the compliments! You are too sweet!

My story is strange but true. I wish I could find the thread where I told about it because it's kind of long and I feel bad posting something so long. I have it typed up and stuff... does anyone mind if I post it, and a picture? I just don't want to be a thread hog. icon_redface.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 9:09pm
post #19 of 81

*Eagerly awaiting Melissa's story*

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 9:15pm
post #20 of 81

I'm sorry for your loss. Maybe your dad just wants to be near you and your family.
I have a friend who's mother passed when she was 14. She went to live with her mom's sister. She said that every night when she went to bed she heard her bedroom door open and could see a shadow, then they would go away. She asked her aunt if she or her uncle were checking on her at night. Her aunt said no, and told her it was probably her mother and that if she was scared to tell her that she was ok and she was scaring her. So she did and it stopped.

When my step mother was growing up she saw things and heard things. She had never met her great grandmother, she passed long before she was born. My stepmom saw her rocking in a rocking chair in her room. It scared her so bad that she crawled to her mom's room. She told her what happened.
A few weeks later they were looking at a photo album and my step mom saw a pic of her gg and yelled "that's who I saw!"

Sorry to hijack your thread! Just wanted to share. I have a couple more about my step mom but one's kinda long. So I thought I'd stop there!

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 9:22pm
post #21 of 81

I am so happily surprised so many people believe. As I wrote in my first reply, my husband has seen things no one else could see his whole life. When he was 6 he told his parents and they (of course) did not believe him. After that he never told anyone but 3 people (including me) because he is so afraid to be called crazy. No one in his family knows it and I think it's sad that he can't share important parts of who he is with his own family.
Anyway, he was very close to his one aunt who he stayed with during most weekends and he said she was a witch. She told my husband when he was little that his future wife has not been born yet but she will come from oversees later in life. He told me this after we had been married for a few years and started having kids. Yes he is 14 years older and I came to the US on a student visa. But I was only planning to stay here for one year!

manderson19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manderson19 Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 5:19pm
post #22 of 81

I am a huge believer! I have had several experiences over the years, but the first one I remember was when we were cleaning out my grandpa's house. He'd kept it for several years after my grandma died and hadn't lived there for a while. My sister and I were in the house and I told Jen, "I smell Cody loose powder." (I remember it came in a round cardboard container) That was the powder my grandma always used and it was "her scent". Noone could convince me that she wasn't there flipping out that we were going through her stuff!

adonisthegreek1 Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 12:34am
post #23 of 81

I hadn't been on for a few days and I am so happy to read all of the new posts. I cannot tell you all how much it means to me that you are willing to share your experiences. And, no, I definitely do not feel like anyone hijacked the thread. Your expressions have been very enlightening and comforting.

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 2:54am
post #24 of 81

I am happy you can find comfort in these posts.
If these things happened to me I would have a panick attack.

Since you don't mind me sharing, I have a couple more.

This one isn't about ghosts.

My step mom and sister were putting a puzzle together in the living room floor one night and my step mom all of a sudden had a real blank look on her face. My sis asked what was wrong and mom started explaining she had a vision of a barbie doll falling down the stairs. She couldn't figure out what it meant. The next morning she was getting my sis ready for school and sis wanted to wear a new pair of shoes. The shoes were a little too big so mom had a funny feeling and said no.
Later on that evening their neighbor, a really pretty blonde girl came over. She had a cast on her arm. She had fallen down her stairs. Immediately my sis yelled "Angie was the barbie doll falling down the stairs!"

When my step mom was a kid her uncle lived with them for a while. He was an alcoholic and got drunk everynight. When he came home he was very loud coming in the door, fumbling for keys, cursing, stumbling through the door, falling.
After he passed she said there were times that she would hear him coming in the door like he always did.

Melvira Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 3:58am
post #25 of 81

In 2002, we lived in a townhouse in Davenport (Iowa), and a few days before I turned 30 my Grandmother (and best friend on earth) passed away. A few days after losing her, a strange image appeared in my screen door. I don't mean a picture was put in the door... I mean the screen itself changed, mutated, if you will, into the image. The image of a baby. That is not a joke... I invited many people over to see it in person and took both video and still footage of it. Now, I am used to these types of supernatural happenings... I have dealt with them (happily for the most part) for years. I have seen things most people don't believe in, and have made believers of MANY skeptics. The only part that bothered me was not knowing who it was, or what they needed from me. The image remained there until we bought my grandmother's house and moved away from the townhouse. (I have since tried to recover the screen, but to no avail.) This slightly creepy instance left my mind after we moved, as the baby's image did not follow us to our new home. Three long years later, we decided we should get our family started, and welcomed a baby into our lives. We found out at 28 weeks pg. that he was to be born with a cleft lip and palate, but that could not curb our enthusiam, nor after meeting him, did it remotely affect our fierce love for him. One day while quickly scanning through the hi-8 tapes that my video camera used, looking for more blank tapes to film Baby, I happened across the images of the screen door. The blood drained from my face and I don't think I was able to move for several minutes. I was staring at the ghostly, disembodied head of my real-life child... COMPLETE WITH CLEFT!! Everything about this face was the same as the tiny little flesh and blood version that I so delighted in kissing. I couldn't stop myself from crying. It all finally made sense. My grandmother passed, and met (chose, perhaps?) the child that would be ours, she wanted us to know how wonderful it would be. A very special child with challenges, to be sure, but also with the capacity to make our lives whole in a way we never dreamed possible. Some will say it's just odd, some will say the picture is fake, but I know the truth. I have many witnesses to this miracle, some made believers by this event, some still slightly skeptical about how it all happened. Here I will post a compilation image for you... the original image of the screen door, the screen door where I have outlined the mouth to show the details of the cleft, and two images of Baby so you can see what I am talking about. I don't have a picture of Baby with his head turned the same way... I only wish I did. But, I don't think you'll be able to miss the striking match, regardless of which way the head is turned. The cleft, the cheeks, the chin, it's all the same. Even the small face and the slightly larger head. It's just amazing to me... no matter how many times I look at it, it never ceases to thrill me. Thanks Gram... thanks for the preview of coming attractions!

See picture attached. Sorry the picture of the door is a little dark. I didnt have the top of the line camera back then!!
LL

enchantedcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enchantedcreations Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 4:02am
post #26 of 81

I'm sorry for your loss.....

I lost my sister to colon cancer several years ago. She was a mother of three and a grandmother of two. What made the situation even worse, her husband, had a massive heart attack and passed away four months before she did. Very unexpected and shocking for all of us to say the least. This unfortunately happened on their granddaughter's third birthday. Their daughter, Jackie, did her best to explain to my great neice, Jenny, Papaw went to Heaven to be with Jesus. Jenny, being only three really didn't ask too many questions. Four months to the day, my sister lost her battle with cancer. So Jackie had to explain to Jenny, basicly the same story, only this time, it was Nana, who was going to Heaven. However, Jenny had something to say this time....... "No Mommy, Papaw, is not in Heaven". Jackie, "yes, Jenny, remember we talked about this, I told you Jesus needed Papaw, and so it was time for Papaw to go to Heaven and be with Jesus". And so the arguing continued between Jackie and Jenny. Jackie started to get frustrated with Jenny for talking back. Jenny held her ground and insisted Papaw was not in Heaven. Finally, very matter of factly, Jenny stands up and states "Papaw did not go to Heaven, he has been here the whole time waiting on Nana so they could go together".

out of the mouth of babes.....

I believe!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 4:57am
post #27 of 81

My dad passed away in 2003. The Fall before I got a blue dragonfly tattoo. He loved it and loved the idea that I'd put my kids initials in it. The day of his memorial in March a giant blue dragonfly appeared and landed on our windshield as we parked at the church. Now Dragonflies are a late summer thing here so it was really strange to see one that day. Since then, at all times of the year, a blue dragonfly will appear at imporant events. One Easter we drove to see my Mom and while sitting in our car at a drive thru hundreds of blue dragonflies surrounded our car...I kid you not. People got out of their cars to see the dragonflies. Once again, this was in March. This past November my husband and I renewed our wedding vows...I carried blue hydrangeas, my dad's fav, with a silver dragonfly and a locket with his photo in it. While taking photos in the gardens a blue dragonfly landed nearby. Now this is in November, on the Central Coast of CA! Unheard of..but there it was. It's been obvious to all of us in our family that a blue dragonfly is how my dad has decided to visit us. Pretty cool, huh?

enchantedcreations Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 5:07am
post #28 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

My dad passed away in 2003. The Fall before I got a blue dragonfly tattoo. He loved it and loved the idea that I'd put my kids initials in it. The day of his memorial in March a giant blue dragonfly appeared and landed on our windshield as we parked at the church. Now Dragonflies are a late summer thing here so it was really strange to see one that day. Since then, at all times of the year, a blue dragonfly will appear at imporant events. One Easter we drove to see my Mom and while sitting in our car at a drive thru hundreds of blue dragonflies surrounded our car...I kid you not. People got out of their cars to see the dragonflies. Once again, this was in March. This past November my husband and I renewed our wedding vows...I carried blue hydrangeas, my dad's fav, with a silver dragonfly and a locket with his photo in it. While taking photos in the gardens a blue dragonfly landed nearby. Now this is in November, on the Central Coast of CA! Unheard of..but there it was. It's been obvious to all of us in our family that a blue dragonfly is how my dad has decided to visit us. Pretty cool, huh?

Your story gave me goose bumps, but in a good way. I think that's great that he is with you and you embrace it. So many people run away from things like this.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 5:13am
post #29 of 81

enchanted, that was a wonderful story and I'm so glad you shared it. Mouths of babe, absolutely!

cat, I've heard many stories of family members visiting as butterflies, birds, and by leaving strange things (like tree-leaves in the house).

And Melvira, I remember the first time you posted that story and it still makes me cry. How incredibly awesome!

enchantedcreations Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 5:39am
post #30 of 81

well, as long we are are sharing, I think this is a good topic. It clears the mind and soul and a lot of people are afraid to share these experiences as we've all mentioned.

This same sister I've mentioned, I went thru a period of mourning her, but then I was mad at her for leaving. Mad for leaving her children; her grandchildren and the rest of us! And I was mad at myself for having those feelings. I couldn't admit to anyone for fear it would piss the rest of my family off. They were all still in shock over losing two familty members in four months. I felt she had just given up when her husband died. In looking back, she did; but she probably wouldn't have lived anyway. But, I couldn't sleep and I dreamed about her ever night for months. I know she was trying to tell me something, buy I was too stubborn to figure it out. One dream in particular, she was in a room with all of my grandparents who had passed, (and they were all healthy now) she was sitting at a table holding a baby in a pink blanket and her husband was standing behind. I was so happy to see them all. I kept asking them where had they been, but they wouldnt' answer me, they only looked at each other. I asked her "who's baby?", but still she would not reply. Finally, I looked over towards the other side of the room and a strange man w/ dark hair, bread, flannel red shirt and jeans was standing there watching all this, he to would not speak to me. Finally I had to leave. When I woke up then next morning, I realized, the baby was hers. She had lost a baby several years before. So okay, I get it, she is with her baby, her husband and my grandparents, but who was the dude w/ the dark hair, I don't know this guy. Fast forward to the next day. I go pick up my daughters from their father's house and his new bride...... her previous husband is, you guessed it, deceased and there is a picture of him on her TV and yep, it was him in the dream. I have never met the man, but he was in my dream. I can tell you, after that dream, I am convenienced, we all go somewhere. I was so calm after I left my ex's house, and I was no longer upset with my sister, I know she is where she needs to be now. I no longer cry over her, I miss her like crazy, esp. during the holidays, she should be her making peacan tassies. Those were her cookies to make for Christmas, but we make them anyway and call them Sue's Cookies.... Okay so now I'm crying...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%