Pricing

Decorating By Angelfire3 Updated 14 Dec 2009 , 8:05pm by Angelfire3

Angelfire3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angelfire3 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 1:00am
post #1 of 12

Hello All,
I have a question. A long time friend of mines (since HS) wants me to bake her boyfriend (also a HS friend of mines) a 9x13x2 single layer redskins themed sheet cake for his birthday. How much should I charge? The local grocery stores charges $14.99 & $24.99.

I will be doing the FBCT for the logo. I actually did a practice run of the logo, it was a long and tedious process, but it came out beautifully, but I dropped it icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif so, I will start again, tomorrow. Any and all suggestion are wanted. Thanks.

11 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 1:32am
post #2 of 12

Don't compare yourself to what the grocery stores charge - it is not representative of true cake prices. Grocery store bakeries are not designed to make a profit. In fact, they price every thing at a LOSS. The purpose of the bakery is to get people to come into the store. It is what is known as a "loss leader".

Custom cake prices are usually priced per serving, with a base price of $3-$10 depending on where you live. Different decorations cost extra.

My base price for a 9x13x4 (all of my cakes are 2 layers, approx 4" tall) rectangular cake (serves 58 1"x2"x4" sized slices) iced and decorated in BC is $117. FBCT start at $25, depending on the intracy, they could be more. So, for the cake you describe, I'd charge at least $132.

HTH!

Angelfire3 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 2:47am
post #3 of 12

Thanks for your reply. I won't compare myself to grocery stores, but people do.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 2:59am
post #4 of 12

If people do, then those aren't your customers! Tell them to go to Wal-Mart. If they want a "custom" cake, that comes with a "custom" price tag, tell them to come to you.

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 5:12pm
post #5 of 12

Exactly. If you charge grocery store prices, people will equate you with grocery store cakes. If that's all customers want to pay, then direct them to WalMart. You have to price your cakes based on YOUR cst and time. In the beginning I thought, "No one will pay that for a cake." But trust me, they will. Quality is worth the price, and there are plenty of people who will pay for quality.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 5:31pm
post #6 of 12

Good gravy....$25? I can't imagine that being worth anyone's time unless they were a mass producing bakery cranking out BC roses on sheet cakes that were flying by on an assembly line. Yowza! icon_sad.gif

Angelfire3 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 5:37pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Good gravy....$25? I can't imagine that being worth anyone's time unless they were a mass producing bakery cranking out BC roses on sheet cakes that were flying by on an assembly line. Yowza! icon_sad.gif

Yes $25 for a sheet cake. It was at Martin's grocery store, here in Culpeper, va. The decorations were beautiful, but when I was watching her slice the cake, the cake looked artificial.

j_arney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j_arney Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 5:53pm
post #8 of 12

Artese - I'm in Haymarket and apparently a bakery here charges $70 for a 4" round!! I was talking to a neighbor of mine who didn't realize I decorated cakes. She had been buying all of her cakes from Cupcake Heaven in Haymarket. She knew they were overpriced, but it wasn't worth driving into DC to get a cheaper cake. She was so glad when she found out that I did cakes too. You may want to check out some local bakeries near you to see what they charge. Then when people ask you can say that you're cheaper than those places. As much as I wish I could, we just can't compete with grocery stores.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 5:55pm
post #9 of 12

I've made 4" rounds that cost more than $70. Totally worth it for what I put into it. Toe-tull-ee.

Angelfire3 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 5:57pm
post #10 of 12

I feel like a Jacka$$ b/c I charged wayyy less than that. Next time, I'll up my price to $75--$80. I live in a really cheap town.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 7:50pm
post #11 of 12

have you actually sat down and figured out *YOUR* costs? it doesnt matter what i charge, what the nearest bakery charges, what other posters charge - you need to know what it costs *you* to make a cake, what *your* time is worth, and what your market will bear.

so price everything- trips to the store, kitchen roll, tooth picks, power, icing, ingerients, etc etc etc.
then price your time - you want to make at least minimum wage per hour. (more detailed cakes = more time = higher price too)
then price your competition. the grocery is not your competition - do not compare yourself, do not let potential clients compare you to them - be clear how you are different. compare to bakeries who do similar looking, good tasting cakes. you want to be near their price range ideally.

although, if you are not legally allowed to sell cakes, this is a moot point anyway!
xx

Angelfire3 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 8:05pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks for replying,
I don't compare myself. I just do what I do. No, I'm not legally allowed to sell cakes. I also do NOT advertise in the 'streets' about my cakes. The people who wants me to make them cakes are the people that have 1) attended my kids birthday parties, 2)work with my hubby with whom I've had to make several treat for pot lucks and 3) celebrated a joyous occasions that involved one of my cakes. I don't have a website, other than my personal facebook page.

I have no idea how to calculate my time. Half the time I forget to keep time. I just really enjoy baking cakes for friend and family & the money I sometimes receive makes it more enjoyable icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%