Am I The Only One Afraid To Use Silver Dragees?

Baking By LoriMc Updated 30 Dec 2009 , 8:34pm by superwawa

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 12:06am
post #1 of 50

I know they are illegal to sell in about six states because of their metal content, but I am afraid someone will break a tooth! I don't want a lawsuit. Anybody else scared???

49 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 1:14am
post #2 of 50

Nope. I use the gold and silver dragees. You'd have to eat an insane amount of them for the metal to cause a problem, as both silver and gold are actually things that we have in our system already, it's just an over load of them that becomes poisonous.

As for the tooth-breaking, they're not that hard, but then, you can chip a tooth on the wierdest things, my dad chipped one of his biting his nails one time!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 1:20am
post #3 of 50

Heck, I keep some on my desk and munch on them during the day! icon_biggrin.gif When a bride selects them as part o fher cake design, I tell her "They are like little jaw breakers, so you might want to give gramma a head's up!" thumbs_up.gif

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 5:47pm
post #4 of 50

LOL!

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 50

I use them all the time!! And like Debi; I LOVE eating them as well!! icon_lol.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 6:08pm
post #6 of 50

Nope...use them all the time.

laurs_1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurs_1981 Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 11:00pm
post #7 of 50

i was nervous, but i was making some blue and white cookies and they needed smthg to make them sparkle so i tried them for the first time.....i personally didn't taste any, but everyone that had the cookies said they tasted great...and the kids LOVE them!

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 11:18pm
post #8 of 50

I use them all the time, they add just the right touch. We ate them all the time as kids and I am still here with no noticeable side effects (along with all my siblings, though I question their sanity)

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 11:25pm
post #9 of 50

They can always pick them off. . . I use them every chance applicable! icon_biggrin.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 11:53pm
post #10 of 50

They are actually not illegal. Just some states refuse to sell them because some over zealous lawyers got excited and now they are afraid.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 12:08am
post #11 of 50

and I am a user and an eater icon_smile.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 12:29am
post #12 of 50

They have been banned from California(not sure of anywhere else) and it is illegal for a company to sell/ship them where they are banned from.
Silver is "a bio-accumulative metal that, like lead and mercury, stays in the body forever," can build up over time and cause health concerns.
It is ventured to say no one would really ever eat enough to actually do harm, but some admit to munching on them all the time. icon_wink.gif
I have seen people eat several cookies that were loaded with them. Like people are actually going to pic them off and not eat them...? That is what all the fuss is over. A product was made of sugar and covered in an inedible metal, packaged as not edible for decoration only and sold to people making edible deserts. Metals are harmful and not meant for food.

They are really pretty! I love the look. But....

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 12:33am
post #13 of 50

Use 'em, but then again, I can remember playing with some mercury a classmate had brought for "show and tell" in first grade.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 12:42am
post #14 of 50

Yup, i use them too. They are readily available in my area but i'm in ontario canada. I sure do like the look of them but like Debi said they are like little jaw breakers and i often think twice about putting them on cookies/cakes for that reason.

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 12:50am
post #15 of 50

worry about dragees? people do you know what your eating when you eat a hotdog?

skeet1zp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skeet1zp Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 12:53am
post #16 of 50

HMMMMmmmmm dragees...very good. I grew up eating them. We still use them every year on our Christmas cookies. Love em!

Christen99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christen99 Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 12:59am
post #17 of 50

I would LOVE to be able to buy them in the store. You can't buy them in CA. We used to use them all the time when we were kids, they're so cool!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 1:20am
post #18 of 50

How boring life would be if I were afraid to do anything for fear of being sued.

Get over it and use them! They're pretty! icon_smile.gif

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 2:10am
post #19 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandiOh

hahahahahaha icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 9:22pm
post #20 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcravings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandiOh

hahahahahaha icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

That is why i don't eat hot dogs!

I have breakable teeth so I suck on the dragees, but I let my kids eat them. I put them on cakes and I think they are super cute.

How do you pronounce it? I say "drag-E", but i had this super stuck-up cakey boss that laughed in my face and said "draw-zhay" I almost hate her, and she made me cry once, but I want to know if she was right!

Cakepro Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 9:36pm
post #21 of 50

Yes, she was definitely right.

I have accidentally laughed our loud when students said "drag-EE" to me too, but only because it's humorous when I hear it said that way...and they laughed too. icon_wink.gif

kakedreamer1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedreamer1212 Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 9:53pm
post #22 of 50

I have also been afraid to use them even tho I think they are beautiful. I see so many cakes decorated with them but had read that they should be removed before comsuming the cake. Who would go through all the trouble of taking them off the cake before they eat it? They are a bit difficult to find in my area. I may break down and get some. They're soooo pretty!!!!!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 4:19am
post #23 of 50

Yep, it's definitely "draw-zhay". Even if you hate the broad, she's got the pronunciation right.

I love the way they look and use them all the time. I hate morons who sue for stupid things.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 4:30am
post #24 of 50

(raising her hand slowly from the back of the room) I also used to call them drag-EE's until I heard it pronounced properly.

It's also a family joke about how I "pronounce 'em as I see 'em". In 2nd grade, I called it Reader's DIG-est instead of Readers DIE-gest. Hubby still laughs at the time I saw the word Potpouri (PO-purr-EE) and pronounced it pot-POR-ee! icon_lol.gif

My then-jr-high-school aged daughter was helping me with a spelling list (I was in a fund-raising spelling bee) and she was having a problem with one of the words. She finally brightened and say, "Oh! I got it!" and gave me the word "Common Cement". I had no idea what she was talking about until I looked at the word and told her, "It's commencement!" icon_lol.gif

It must be hereditary!

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 4:56am
post #25 of 50

I haven't even looked for them since I read what it says on the outside of the bottle! I'm afraid too. I know it may sound silly, but until they find out just what is causing cancer and Alzheimer's--- I'm leary! Leary or leery? Anyway!

Ruth0209 Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 5:07am
post #26 of 50

Yeah, I thought it was drag-ee until I looked it up! I was just glad I didn't say it out loud to anyone and embarrass myself before I figured it out. I tell customers how to say it, and tell them it looks like drag-ee but is pronounced draw-zhay.

I had a Sociology teacher in college tell the class that conscience and conscious were spelled differently but pronounced the same way. Um, no. Of course, he was the same dork who gave us the definition of murder simply as "killing someone without their permission". First of all, really? And secondly, what college freshman doesn't already know what murder is anyway? I dropped that class. It was just too stupid.

I had a teaching assistant pronounce dichotomy as DICK-ta-moan-e instead of die-COT-a-me. Took me a week to puzzle out what she was talking about.

I heard a news story about the Galapagos Islands where the guy said galla-PEG-os instead of ga-LOP-a-gos.

I had a friend tell me about a plane crash in the Potomac River, POT-o-mac.

I don't have much trouble with pronunciation, but when I was in the second grade I wrote a story about how "knee grows" were the same as everyone else and we should be good to them (It was 1961 when Negro was a more commonly used term). My mom still laughs about that.

Cakepro Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 5:26am
post #27 of 50

OMG Ruth, do you live amongst inbreds? That is just ridiculous. Hello...4th grade English anyone?

I once had a professor snicker at me when I mispronounced ad infinitum... but damn, that was Latin, not English. LOL

Ruth0209 Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 5:37am
post #28 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

OMG Ruth, do you live amongst inbreds? That is just ridiculous. Hello...4th grade English anyone?

I once had a professor snicker at me when I mispronounced ad infinitum... but damn, that was Latin, not English. LOL

LOL! Sometimes I think so. So much for higher education, huh?

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 5:43am
post #29 of 50

When I was in 7th grade, I wrote a poem about my bedroom being messy and said it looked like a hoar. (pronounced it whore.) (I didn't have a dictionary on hand when I wrote it, and I needed something that rhymed with door. =/ )

Some girls came up after and, teasingly, asked me if I knew what that word meant. I said, "Yeah!"

Eventually, I realized the word I was looking for was "horror".

Never made that mistake again.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 6:13am
post #30 of 50

I hate the things, I think they ruin a cookie, or cake, I hate biting into them.But then, I hate sprinkles, (which is my maiden name} I know i'm weird. lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%