Plz Help With Bulging Cake When Covered In Fondant

Decorating By ccc1234 Updated 14 Dec 2009 , 5:36am by Tiffany29

ccc1234 Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 11:47pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone, Im having problem everytime I cover a cake with fondant I take a few minutes n then I start seeing the bulge of icing that creats ripples on the outside of the fondant. Plz someone tell me what is the trick to having a perfect loving fondant covered cake. Thanks for looking

3 replies
milkmaid42 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 2:03am
post #2 of 4

You need to fill your layers, having a good stiff dam. Stack, then cover the cake and let it settle. I generally let mine sit overnight. If a perishable filling, in the refrigerator, if not, then on the counter. The next day I trim the sides, either coat with ganache or crumb coat with B C, spritz lightly with water and apply fondant. Sugarshack (Sharon) has an excellent DVD and I have had no trouble since. Just keep practicing and results will follow. Good luck.

JanH Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 5:19am
post #3 of 4

Just what PP said. icon_smile.gif

Check leah_s post for quick method to achieve "settling":

Tiffany29 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 5:36am
post #4 of 4

This is what I do.
When I make my dam I make it super thick, almost like play dough. When you touch it it isn't sticky. Pipe the dam, fill then stack. Put a piece of plastic wrap on top of cake.Then put my cake pan on cake and put a can of veggies or something to weigh it down a little. I leave it over night. That should help with the bulging.

Quote by @%username% on %date%