Best Way To Thaw Cookies?

Baking By confectionsofahousewife Updated 14 Dec 2009 , 5:53pm by confectionsofahousewife

confectionsofahousewife Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 7

I am making about 150 sugar cookies that have to be distributed over the course of the next couple weeks to various locations. This means they can't all be iced and wrapped at the same time as they won't be fresh still by christmas. So I'm freezing the cookies and then will thaw each set and ice them when its time to distribute. Can anyone tell me what the thawing protocol is? How long should they thaw before I ice them? I use tobas glace.

Also, has anyone had experience freezing the cookies with toba's galce? I have never tried it and don't want to take a chance.

6 replies
ButtacreamRose Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 7

Set out over nite in closed container and allow to come to room temperature.
I've frozen cookies with TG for about 1 1/2 weeks . I used red /white icing and the red got alittle blotchy.HTH.

momg9 Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 10:39pm
post #3 of 7

I'm not sure about Toba's icing, but I use royal icing and decorate, bag, and freeze them all the time. I get them out of the freezer 1 day ahead to thaw. Once they're thawed they're ready to go.

aej6 Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 11:04pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by momg9

I'm not sure about Toba's icing, but I use royal icing and decorate, bag, and freeze them all the time. I get them out of the freezer 1 day ahead to thaw. Once there thawed there ready to go.

Do you thaw them on the counter or in the fridge overnight? I'm thinking the fridge would thaw them slower and nicer....no?

momg9 Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 11:23pm
post #5 of 7

On the counter. Also I make sure they are not stacked on top of each other.

momg9 Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 11:30pm
post #6 of 7

Just to clarify, to get them ready to freeze, I bag the decorated cookies in individual bags and then layer them (lightly) in a box or deep pan with paper towels between each layer and cover the box with press and seal. When they come out, I take them out of the box so they are in a single layer.

I hope this makes sense.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 5:53pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. So is it best to cover them while thawing or not? My fear would be condensation would develop inside a closed container while thawing but I don't know that.
I am going to try freezing a toba's glace decorated cooking. I put some glace on it today and I'm going to put it in the freezer tomorrow just to see what happens. Then I'm going to eat it just to see how it tastes icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%