Need Modeling Chocolate Tips

Decorating By FACSlady Updated 14 Dec 2009 , 12:37am by milkmaid42

FACSlady Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 2:14am
post #1 of 10

Why does modeling chocolate seem to seize when you make it? Will it smooth out when you work it? I'm using a package of Wilton's melts with 1/3 cup of corn syrup. I'd really appreciate some advice.

9 replies
motherofgrace Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 2:26am
post #2 of 10

from what ive learned making it myself, is it looks seized, then..................ITS PERFECT! Let it rest for an hour, then rip off a chunk and model!

HTH

milkmaid42 Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 2:50am
post #3 of 10

Amen!

countrycaker Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 3:03am
post #4 of 10

Somebody told me that molding chocolate is different from chocolate melts. So what's the difference? And where does one find molding chocolate? Maybe it's easier to work with that the chocolate melts. ?

motherofgrace Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 4:55am
post #5 of 10

im sorry are you asking about MOLDING or MODELING chocolate?

damanda Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 12:43pm
post #6 of 10

Hi,
I dont know anything about it But would love to know as much as I can .
So keep the tips a common.
Amanda

milkmaid42 Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 2:42pm
post #7 of 10

I buy a large bag of semisweet chocolate chips and a large bag of the bittersweet chocolate chips when I get into Sam's. At home I mix them together and store them in a large container. (I live a long distance away).
I only do this since I buy in bulk and I like the mixture for cookies, etc. Since that is the chocolate at hand, that is what I use. (What I'm trying to say is you don't have to have the mix.) Chocolate contains cocoa butter whereas the candy melts don't. Others may find no difference, but I do prefer the chocolate for ease in working. I use candy melts when I color it, but I tend to get a little exasperated and it takes more patience. I think the difference between molding chocolate and modeling chocolate is simply a matter of spelling, or habit. I wish you luck in working with it. I find it a fun medium. I carved my deer out of the chocolate, and the bunnies and trees out of candy melts, (or candy clay) in my photos. I was able to get more definition with the chocolate. HTH

FACSlady Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 7:23pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks so much for the information. One last question: would I do anything special to the recipe if I wanted to cover a cake with modeling chocolate?

deMuralist Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 7:47pm
post #9 of 10

milkmaid, when you use the chocolate chip mix, do you just melt it, or do you temper it, or do you add the corn syrup as in the recipe for the candy melts?

milkmaid42 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 12:37am
post #10 of 10

I hate to temper so don't really bother when doing a small figure. (I don't particularly care if they are glossy or not.) I just melt the chocolate in the microwave, watching carefully because chips don't really lose their shape. I stir and let the residual heat complete the melting then add the corn syrup. As far as covering the cake in modeling chocolate, I would prefer to use a ganache. (Ganache is chocolate/cream mixture and there are a number of threads here re. proportions and uses.) There is also a "sticky" you might find interesting re. wrapping a cake in chocolate. Have fun. At least your mistakes are delicious!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%