Business By cakepanpam Updated 13 Dec 2009 , 4:19am by cakepanpam

cakepanpam Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 1:53am
post #1 of 6

I have a question for those of you that run a small bakery, like a one person decorator. I am considering renting a place within a few miles of my home for a bakery and my only concern is how many cakes should I take on in a week's time. I have my daughter that will be helping me with things like making cookies and running the front desk, but she doesn't know how to bake or decorate them yet so I will be doing it all myself. I have done some out of my home in the past so I am pretty use to baking and decorating them alone. I would appreciate any advise or tips to help me with running one! I am excited about having my own bakery but at the same time I don't know if i am taking on more that I can handle.

5 replies
miamorsweets Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 2:10am
post #2 of 6

I have no advice to offer, but I just wanted to wish you good luck!! Have faith!!

indydebi Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 2:29am
post #3 of 6

First, you can't gauge how long it will take you in a comm'l kitchen by how long it takes you in a home kitchen. You get done WAY faster in a comm'l kitchen.

Instead of making 3 or 4 batches of icing in a KA (2 lbs of p.sugar per batch), I can make one big batch (using the 7lb bag of psugar from Sam's).

Instead of baking 1, 2 or maybe 3 cake pans at one time in a small home oven, you can bake an entire wedding cake in one baking batch. I've baked two entire wedding cakes in one baking batch ... one hour's baking time.

Instead of dreading clean-up, it's an absolute breeze with a commercial dishwasher that washes every utensil I've used, plus the 20qt mixing bowl in 55 seconds. Yes .... SECONDS!

Instead of baking 12 or 24 cookies at a time, I can bake 24 on one cookie sheet and can bake 5 to 10 baking sheets at one time (5 with a single comm'l oven .... 10 with a double). This means I can actually bake up to 240 cookies at one time ..... about 20 minutes and they're all baked.

Instead of having to make cookie dough "as needed", I am able to make lots of cookie dough, scoop it into dough balls and put it in the big comm'l freezer. So when it's time to bake those 240 cookies, I just pull them from the freezer to baking sheet and 20 minutes later, I'm done. No clean up, since I didn't have to fire up the mixer.

You'll be amazed at how much time it DOESN'T take you when you have the right tools and the right working environment! thumbs_up.gif

cakepanpam Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 3:53am
post #4 of 6

wow, you just lifted a load of worry off of me. I had no idea it would be that much faster in a commercial kitchen. I feel like i have more confidence now with what you said. I had no idea you could actually bake that many cookies at one time. The only other concern that I have is if I am making a large cake like a 16 inch can i just double my cake recipe to fill my pan?

indydebi Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 4:13am
post #5 of 6

I'm a mix-baker, so I can mix 10 cake mixes in a 20qt mixing bowl at one time. However, if you're a scratch baker, my understanding is there are adjustment you need to make for larger batches, but I will wait for the expert scratch bakers to pop in and advise you on that. THe only scratch cake recipe I make is the one on the Hershey Cocoa can ... and I double-double that one all the time.

cakepanpam Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 4:19am
post #6 of 6

Thanks so much Indydebi for responding. I do make my cakes from scratch, just something I can't stop doing, LOl. I have doubled a few scratch cakes before and they turned out fine. I just wasn't sure about some cakes like white cakes where it calls for so many eggs to be folded into the batter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%