Help Timeline?

Decorating By erilay Updated 14 Dec 2009 , 7:20pm by erilay

erilay Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 12:14am
post #1 of 4

I have a cake due the day after X-mas. My husband is not happy. He wants me to have it done and covered with fondant by the 23. Does anyone know if it is going to be ok for 3-4 days covered on my counter. Should I saran wrap it? I don't want the fondant to get too hard.

Also I am pretty sure I can freeze the cake filled with almond paste, jam, and buttercream but, can I also coat it with ganache. I want to use a white ganache under my fondant. Will it be ok for a week or so in the freezer or should I wait until it defrosts to ganache.

Any help would be great. I want to do as little as possible on the 22 and 23.

3 replies
JanH Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 1:55am
post #2 of 4
Originally Posted by erilay

Does anyone know if it is going to be ok for 3-4 days covered on my counter. .

3-4 days would be the maximum storage for a scratch cake, while a cake mix cake would be good for several more....

I would recommend baking and freezing the layers and making the frosting and fillings prior to the 22nd. On the 23rd defrost, fill and decorate so that you can deliver a fresh product which if not consumed immediately in its entirety will not yield stale left overs.

Or you can make and decorate the cake now and freeze it using BlakesCakes method, but you'd have to substitute modeling chocolate in place of fondant:

Bunsen Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 2:15am
post #3 of 4

What cake recipe are you using? I bake scratch and some of my recipes keep for well over a week...

Are you in a cold climate? If it's hot I wouldn't risk white ganache but if its cold it should keep ok. (I've never frozen a cake covered in ganache but ganache itself freezes well so I think it should be ok to freeze)

erilay Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 4

It is a pound cake. I really want to fill it and cover it with a ganache before freezing it. I would like to take it out of the freezer and cover it with fondant, decorate and be done.

Is the gaache going to crack or taste wierd? I am worried all of my planning might just go to waste if I have to redo things anyways. I thik the filligs will be ok. It is just the ganache I am worried about. Has anyoe ever doe that?

Thanks so much for your help. I will check out the method u talked about. Thanks again...

Quote by @%username% on %date%