How To Get Nice Dark Green Color?

Decorating By juststarted Updated 14 Dec 2009 , 12:49am by Loucinda

juststarted Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 11

Can someone please help me with some tips on getting the green color on fondant as the leaves are on the picture?
LL

10 replies
Loucinda Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 12:47am
post #2 of 11

I used forest green airbrush color (americolor) and mixed it with everclear for the green in my poinsettias - which comes close to the green you have in that pic. You can add more everclear to lighten it some if need be.
LL

mickey1069 Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 1:12am
post #3 of 11

Hi loucinda,can you tellme what is everclear cause Im knew here and I don`t know what that is. Thank you

Loucinda Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 1:25am
post #4 of 11

Everclear is grain alcohol that is 190 proof. (VERY high alcohol content) The higher the alcohol content the faster it will dry. You can't buy it here in Ohio, you have to get it in KY or IN. icon_wink.gif

juleebug Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 1:52am
post #5 of 11

This is BC but I got the color by combining Wilton's Royal Blue with Lemon Yellow.
LL

CandyCU Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 1:53am
post #6 of 11

Hi,

I've used moss green Wilton paste colour and add a touch of black to get a nice dark christmassy green for my ivy leaves.

HTH!

juststarted Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 1:53pm
post #7 of 11

Loucinda, juleebug and CandyCU, you guys rock! thanks a bunch. I'll start experipenting today.

Loucinda Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 5:18pm
post #8 of 11

juststarted - if you use the airbrush colors and everclear - you can paint or "dip" the leaves in it and it will dry a lot easier than trying to use the gel colors.....which I never can get to dry (they always stayed "sticky" on things I tried to paint with them)

bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 5:25pm
post #9 of 11

You can start with a medium green color in the fondant and petal dust the leaves in a darker color. That's how I do my gumpaste flowers/leaves.

juststarted Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 10:38pm
post #10 of 11

As I am going to use the green fondant directly over the cake (I posted the pic with leaf to show you the color I want) I'll start with a light green color then after applying the fondant I'll brush with forest green americolor mixed with vodka. What do you guys think?

Loucinda Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 12:49am
post #11 of 11

If you are going to color the fondant/gumpaste, I don't know that I would paint them too. I would probably just dust them like BWB says. I painted mine because I started out with white leaves. (I didn't know how much to color green and how much to color red, so I made mine all white and then painted/dusted them)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%