Meringue Powder In Frosting

Decorating By ShelleyMJ Updated 12 Dec 2009 , 8:49pm by kakeladi

ShelleyMJ Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 4:20pm
post #1 of 8

What is the purpose of Meringue Powder in frosting? I have found almost identical recipes that claim to be "crusting" except one has the powder and the other does not.

I'm just puzzled. Can anyone explain?

7 replies
cad1951 Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 8

meringue powder helps the icing to crust but also helps your decorations hold their shape better. i always use merigue powder in my buttercream icing for my cakes. thumbs_up.gif

sewsweet2 Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 8

Please share how much meringue powder you use in proportion to shortening and powdered sugar. I need to reformulate my buttercream to work with the 0 trans fat Crisco. What a pain.

Mike1394 Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 8

I really don't know what the purpose is of MP in icing. The crusting occurs because of the sugar to liquid to fat ratio, not MP.

crisseyann Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 7:19pm
post #5 of 8

What Mike said. icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 7:33pm
post #6 of 8

Mile is absolutely correct. I use meringue powder for a fluffy texture.

indydebi Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 8:23pm
post #7 of 8

What Mike said, too. I never knew what the heck merinque powder was for. Never used it in 30 years, until I started making decorated cookies. My cake icing crusts well and I use BC for everything .... icing, borders, roses, drop flowers, stringwork, writing, attaching decors to the sides of cake .... absolutely everything.

MP has nothing to do with crusting. Nothing.

kakeladi Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 8:49pm
post #8 of 8

The use of MP in icing was introduced by Wilton.......
Remember folks Wilton is in the business of *SELLING* products! They want your $$$. Yes, it *might* help the icing crust ever sooooooo slightly, but it really is NOT needed for the right proportions to make your icing crust.
As one poster mentioned it probably does help the icing be a tiny bit more fluffy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%