Egg Whites In Ri Instead Of Merengue Powder? Quick Please...

Baking By Jopalis Updated 15 Dec 2009 , 6:14am by Jopalis

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 13

I am not crazy about the taste of merengue powder in RI. I was wondering if anyone uses egg whites instead and if I should buy pasteurized ones? Can I use the liquid that is like Egg Beaters?

12 replies
ShelleyMJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelleyMJ Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 4:30pm
post #2 of 13

I use egg whites. I have never used the egg beaters. I have also used the meringue powder for RI. There is a huge difference in the consistency and taste, my my humble opinion. Much prefer the egg whites

Jopalis Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 13

do you use the pasteurized ones? the liquid?

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 8:14pm
post #4 of 13

I use the egg beaters egg whites and they work great.

lomfise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomfise Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 8:14pm
post #5 of 13

Hello Jopalis

I always use pateurized egg whites for RI, I think it tastes great.

Jopalis Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 8:17pm
post #6 of 13

lomfise.... do you use the liquid ones then? Mind sharing your recipe? I want to use on snowflake cookies. I saw one recipe by Alton Brown where he whips the whites up (some say they don't whip up though) and another my Nigella that does not. Nigella has lemon juice in hers too.... How do you thin it.... with more egg whites or lemon juice or water ....
Thanks!

lomfise Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 4:38pm
post #7 of 13

Yes, I use liquid eggwhites. Here in Denmark we buy them in cups of one and a half eggwhite (strange amount I know). I whip this till its foamy then add a little powdered sugar at the time and then a bit of lemon juice.

I find a fork is the best to mix in the sugar.

I'm sorry I can't give you any precise measurements, but its simply about adding a little powdered sugar at the time until you have the consistency you want. Be careful with the lemon juice though, so it doesn't go too sour.

If you want to thin it a little I use water.

Hope this helps.

Jopalis Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 8:24pm
post #8 of 13

Thank you! DH bought me a good size container of the store brand of liquid just whites. I'll play with it. I will be careful of the lemon juice. Maybe just a little. I did read that it makes it more white but I could also add some white white coloring. I am going to cover with some sparkles so...not critical. I wonder how long this icing will keep in the fridge and then just restir it...?

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 11:11pm
post #9 of 13

Use those leftover whites for your SMBC

Jopalis Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 11:54pm
post #10 of 13

I haven't had luck whipping the pasteurized liquid whites. Says on the container they won't. I know some do though...

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 12:37am
post #11 of 13

Well somebody's lyin' because I use them successfully 99% of the time! Make sure that bowl is spotless and dry as a bone--hot, hot water with soap then dry and bring the whites to room temp. and beat them on high.

lomfise Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 5:03pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopalis

I wonder how long this icing will keep in the fridge and then just restir it...?

Jopalis, I have an airtight container with RI in my fridge, it's been there at least a couple of months, and it is still good. Just stir it with a fork, maybe add a little lemon juice and it's fine.

I like having a batch of white RI, for when I need just a little bit for a cake. Of course, it wont last for ever, but so far I haven't found out when it goes bad icon_lol.gif

Jopalis Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 6:14am
post #13 of 13

Well...I'll give it a shot. Can't hurt. I had read that the powdered whites when reconstituted whip up well but that the liquid pasteurized ones don't. I have seen where some have had success though....

I am glad the RI can be reused for a while... thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%