Horton Cake Instructions

Decorating By SugarRush_Cakes Updated 12 Dec 2009 , 5:09pm by Cristi-Tutty

SugarRush_Cakes Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 3:47pm
post #1 of 4

When my cousin's daughter turned one they threw her a Horton Hears a Who party. I do all the cakes for my family and friends and love it, but this one was a challenge. There was barely anything out there for Horton so she sent me the pictures of her party supplies and that and Dr. Suess' book became my inspiration. I absolutely loved this cake and it was a hit at the birthday party!!
After posting this cake on this site I have recieved several requests for instructions. This cake was created as I went and all carved free-hand. It's really not that difficult, so give it a whirl. I know everyone will love it as much as they did at my party.
Thanks!

Horton's Body:
Make two 9x13 cakes; I used a white cake mix.
Stack the cakes once cooled. While cake is sitting horizontal, cut off 1/3 of the end of the entire cake. From the piece that was cut away, cut four sections from the top cake to be used for Horton's feet. Save the rest to be used to make Horton's trunk. I carved the rest of the cake freehand to resemble Horton's body.

Horton's Head:
Bake a cake in half of a Sports Ball Pan; this will be Horton's head. Turn cake dome side up and place up against the body portion of the cake. I cut the shape of Horton's ears out of poster board, iced them the same blue color used for his body and attached them to Horton's head using dowel rods.

Horton's Trunk:
Take the pieces of cake that were cut from the body section and form into a "u" shape off the front of Horton's head.

Horton's Tail and Hair:
For the tail, I made marshmallow fondant and died it the blue color and then used black icing to color the end of the tail. For the hair, I used black shoe string licorice and stuck it into the top of his head.

Icing:
I used a blue food coloring and mixed it with white icing until I achieved the light blue color of Horton. I iced everything with this color. You will need to mix up extra icing to fill in where the head and trunk meet.

Horton's Details:
I used black icing gel to draw Horton's eyes, the marks on his trunk, mouth and ears.

Horton's Clover:
I baked a mini cupcake and used pink food coloring to dye the coconut for the top
LL

3 replies
scionmom Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 4:06pm
post #2 of 4

So cute!! Thank you!!

cylstrial Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 4:55pm
post #3 of 4

That is great! Thanks for sharing!!

Cristi-Tutty Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 5:09pm
post #4 of 4

oh so beautiful thanks for sharing!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%