Who Purchases Silk Florals For Wedding Cake?

Decorating By sheilabelle Updated 13 Dec 2009 , 10:07pm by sheilabelle

sheilabelle Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 1:26pm
post #1 of 7

Who usually purchases the flowers to go on a wedding cake. I have a consultation coming up for a wedding cake and the bride wants hot pink gerber daisies on it. Do I ask the bride the purchase the flowers so that she gets the exact shade or do I do it? TIA

6 replies
icer101 Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 1:50pm
post #2 of 7

i would ask the bride to purchase them.. thats must my opinion...

indydebi Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 7

In my world, the bride is responsible for all florals, silk or real. I am not a personal shopper. I make the cake .... I don't buy her florals.

- Buying more flowers from the florist "might" get her a small volume discount.
- Guarantees all flowers match.
- If it's a hard to acquire flower, a florist will have an easier time getting them that I will.
- Following that logic, I've noticed that if a bride can't find something in particular (cake topper, certain florals, etc), then it's "oh that's hard to find, let's get something else." But if the cake lady can't find the topper or florals, then the cake lady is incompetent and ".... I wont' recommend you to ANYONE because you've RUINED my wedding!"
- If a last minute change is needed, the florist can change ALL the flowers at the last minute and they still match.
- In the 2-3 days before the wedding, I'm busy making your cake. Don't have time to drive all over town to buy flowers.

I tell brides to leave the flowers on the cake table and I'll apply them when I deliver and set up the cake.

cylstrial Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 3:47pm
post #4 of 7

I would also have the bride purchase the flowers.

In your contract, put a clause about how you will try to match the color - but due to the limitations on food colors available, you may not be able to match the color perfectly.

JenniferMI Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 7

I would also ask the bride to get them. You can help with with the quantity though...

Jen icon_smile.gif

juststarted Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 7:23pm
post #6 of 7

I guess we don't need to reply anymore after indydebi's post. indydebi I adore you.

sheilabelle Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 10:07pm
post #7 of 7

Everyone - You are amazing. That is exactly what I was thinking, but I am new to this and sometimes question myself. THANKS

Quote by @%username% on %date%