Who usually purchases the flowers to go on a wedding cake. I have a consultation coming up for a wedding cake and the bride wants hot pink gerber daisies on it. Do I ask the bride the purchase the flowers so that she gets the exact shade or do I do it? TIA
i would ask the bride to purchase them.. thats must my opinion...
In my world, the bride is responsible for all florals, silk or real. I am not a personal shopper. I make the cake .... I don't buy her florals.
- Buying more flowers from the florist "might" get her a small volume discount.
- Guarantees all flowers match.
- If it's a hard to acquire flower, a florist will have an easier time getting them that I will.
- Following that logic, I've noticed that if a bride can't find something in particular (cake topper, certain florals, etc), then it's "oh that's hard to find, let's get something else." But if the cake lady can't find the topper or florals, then the cake lady is incompetent and ".... I wont' recommend you to ANYONE because you've RUINED my wedding!"
- If a last minute change is needed, the florist can change ALL the flowers at the last minute and they still match.
- In the 2-3 days before the wedding, I'm busy making your cake. Don't have time to drive all over town to buy flowers.
I tell brides to leave the flowers on the cake table and I'll apply them when I deliver and set up the cake.
I would also have the bride purchase the flowers.
In your contract, put a clause about how you will try to match the color - but due to the limitations on food colors available, you may not be able to match the color perfectly.
I would also ask the bride to get them. You can help with with the quantity though...
I guess we don't need to reply anymore after indydebi's post. indydebi I adore you.
Everyone - You are amazing. That is exactly what I was thinking, but I am new to this and sometimes question myself. THANKS