Never Want To See Another Dragee Again......

Decorating By JodieF Updated 14 Dec 2009 , 1:50pm by JodieF

JodieF Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 3:50am
post #1 of 45

I just spent HOURS putting dragees on a 3 tier cake.....6, 10 and 14 inch tiers, 6 inches tall......1 1/2 inch diamond quilting on the 6 and 14 inch and 2 inch diamond quilting on the 10 inch. It's ivory fondant with black dragees.

This is for a friends daughter. When I agreed to the cake I thought "how simple! Literally a piece of cake! Just quilting with dragees!".

GAWD....how dumb was I?????? I don't even want to KNOW how many of those itty bitty dragees I just placed with tweezers! I also don't want to know how many went bouncing, bouncing, bouncing all over the floor!

Everyone who does this for a living....wow....I bow to you!

Jodie

44 replies
LaBellaFlor Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 4:38am
post #2 of 45

LOLOLOL!!!!!! Don't you love "simple" designs?!

JodieF Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 4:48am
post #3 of 45

It just proves I have no business even thinking I may want to sell cakes someday! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I get myself into too much trouble giving them away!

Jodie

LaBellaFlor Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 4:51am
post #4 of 45

Actually I would think it would motivate you to ONLY sell cakes. I mean you did all that work...for FREE! icon_surprised.gificon_wink.gif

JodieF Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 4:57am
post #5 of 45

Well, I did it for someone I care about, but I get the point! icon_cool.gif Unfortunately you can't sell cakes from home in Illinois, so even if I want to sell them I can't. icon_cry.gif
So, I content myself with learning some new skills and earning myself a little cake karma. icon_rolleyes.gif

Jodie

JenniferMI Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 1:24pm
post #6 of 45

LOL!

Jen icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 2:14pm
post #7 of 45

icon_cry.gif oh, maybe one day. the quilting is not so bad, but that individual dragee, at EvERY point. Boy, that's a lot of love! icon_biggrin.gif

creations Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 2:33pm
post #8 of 45

lmao , i did a cake similar to yours and yes those darn lil balls all over the place and when i brought it to the party a few came off Lucky i had some in my travel bag GOTTA LOVE the lil things lol .

JodieF Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 2:37pm
post #9 of 45

*toeing the ground* Hmmmmm.......I also made her a grooms cake she didn't ask for....a pirate ship! She and her mom and finance call themselves the 3 pirates...the whole AARRRHHHHGGGG thing. icon_smile.gif So, I wanted to surprise them.
More good cake karma for me!!!!
The quilting is easy but the fingers on my right hand are killing me from those tweezers! icon_smile.gif

Creations.....yep, I plan on taking the tweezers, piping gel and dragees with me. I didn't go through all that work to have an empty spot for the wedding!

Jodie

CakesByLJ Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 2:42pm
post #10 of 45

Jodie.... when do we get to see the picture?? icon_biggrin.gif

JodieF Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 2:47pm
post #11 of 45

I'm setting them up today at 4. I have to drive them an hour so I'm going to stack and add the ribbon on site. The best I can offer is a shot of the wedding cake in the fridge. The pirate cake is wrapped up downstairs so no photo of that yet.

The 10 inch doesn't look great in the photo...weird...looks rounded and lumpy, but it's not really. Must be the light or angle.
LL

LaBellaFlor Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 2:50pm
post #12 of 45

That's A LOT of dragees...and you from what it looks like, the really little ones!

CakesByLJ Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 2:53pm
post #13 of 45

WOW.. it's beautiful already Jodie... my best wishes for a safe delivery are with you... thumbs_up.gif

JodieF Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 2:54pm
post #14 of 45

They're 4mm....the only black ones I could find!

Now, picture the cake on a silver plateau, stack with black satin ribbon around the base of each and a few red poinsettia's. Whatcha think?????

Jodie

CakesByLJ Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 2:59pm
post #15 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodieF

They're 4mm....the only black ones I could find!

Now, picture the cake on a silver plateau, stack with black satin ribbon around the base of each and a few red poinsettia's. Whatcha think?????

Jodie

I think it will be stunning~! 4mm.. that is small.. no wonder you never want to see them again.. icon_biggrin.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 3:02pm
post #16 of 45

4mm?!?! Oh yeah, your hand is cramping from the tweezers! And the cake sounds beautiful!

JodieF Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 3:06pm
post #17 of 45

I bought the dragees at ICES at Mike McCarey's booth. When I searched I couldn't find black dragees anywhere online, except for the 4mm!

cylstrial Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 3:46pm
post #18 of 45

Yes - dragees are a pain in the butt! But they are so pretty once they are on the cake!

Your cake is super cute! I can't wait to see it put together! I bet it is going to be very chic!

Jeep_girl816 Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 3:52pm
post #19 of 45

Gorgeous cake! I'm sure the bride was beside herself, I know I would've been!

7yyrt Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 4:44pm
post #20 of 45

Are you cross-eyed this morning?
Very nice work, I must add.

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/7052/crosseyedcat8bq.jpg

pvcat2000 Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 5:09pm
post #21 of 45

You can get a beading mat from a craft store. It stops the beads from rolling and I used it for dragees, no more dragees all over. I got mine at Michaels.

JodieF Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 5:10pm
post #22 of 45

Thanks.....I'm getting better but my fondant work needs a LOT of practice. The 6 and 10 inch are fine, but covering that 14 inch was very hard. There was one crease I couldn't work out and it was my third try at getting it covered and I figured it was the best I was going to do.

But, I guess that's why there's a back of the cake!

As to being cross eyed... icon_lol.gif ...I sure felt that way last night! Great picture!

juststarted Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 7:03pm
post #23 of 45

I'm sure all you hard work will be worth it when you see the reaction of the bride. the tiers look perfect and the whole setup picture you painted sounds phenomenon! You did a great job, enjoy the ceremony.

Lorieann55 Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 9:27pm
post #24 of 45

Can't wait to see it all put together. And doing the pirate's cake.... what a nice friend you are!

Cathy26 Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 10:28pm
post #25 of 45

That looks fab!! How did you do the quilting? its flawless and the dragees are gorgeous - would love to try both these techniques. good luck with setup cant wait to see pics!

BecuzImAGurl Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 10:39pm
post #26 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodieF

Well, I did it for someone I care about, but I get the point! icon_cool.gif Unfortunately you can't sell cakes from home in Illinois, so even if I want to sell them I can't. icon_cry.gif
So, I content myself with learning some new skills and earning myself a little cake karma. icon_rolleyes.gif

Jodie

icon_eek.gif You cant sell cakes at home??! Oh no...Then what can I do? I was thinking about it too! I have a 6 month old baby at home...so I cant go anywhere else to bake... icon_cry.gif I need money icon_sad.gif gettinng behind bills and I love baking and decorating cake so I want it as a career...please tell me it's not ture... icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

JodieF Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 2:54pm
post #27 of 45

BeCuz....well, as far as I've been told, there is no cottage industry allowed in Illinois (I believe unless you have a totally separate kitchen, which I can't afford and wouldn't want in this house). You'll need to check in your county.
Cathy...I used quilting impression mats. You press them into the sides of the cake while the fondant is still soft. Then you go over it with a stitiching wheel or a smooth roller wheel to further define the look. To put on the sugar pearls, I put a dab of piping gel and place the pearl (or dragee) and then press it gently into the fondant.

The wedding was beautiful and she loved her cakes! As always, a HUGE relief for me! I have only done a few wedding cakes and it's incredibly stressful! It's just so important to the bride and I never want to disappoint them in any way.
Here's a photo. She evidently changed her mind about having poinsettias on the cake (the room was full of them though!) but the topper was very beautiful. It was white roses and small pale green flowers with red berries.

Jodie
LL

CakesByLJ Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 3:11pm
post #28 of 45

Your cake is spectacular~! Love the pirate cake too... You can relax now.. you definately aced this one... thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

JodieF Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 4:44pm
post #29 of 45

Thanks so much....I'm very happy the wedding went well and she was happy.
It's nice to be getting a little better at decorating cakes, but it's just the best making a friend happy!

Jodie

LaBellaFlor Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 5:05pm
post #30 of 45

Oh MY GOODNESS! It is beautiful! The pirate ship is awesome. I love the stand the cake was on. I do think it would have lookes better with the poinsettas as well. The cake looks very elegant and the topper looks kind of Springy like. It doesn't really match. Whatever makes the bride happy, I guess. And to think, they got all that for FREE!!! icon_cry.gif Just kidding!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%