leah_s Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 3:31am
post #1 of 32

is called to order.

Who's up?
Whatcha workin' on?

31 replies
leah_s Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 3:33am
post #2 of 32

blargh. I didn't even get *started* until 3 pm, so I've still got lots to do. And to top it off, I'm short of cake, so I'm getting ready to throw another short layer into the oven.

Kitagrl Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 3:42am
post #3 of 32

I just finished my last cake....and uploaded my weekend cakes...just a tasting on Monday and cupcakes for school next week and that's it! We are going out of town for Christmas (first time in FOREVER and will be the last for awhile too, since I had to turn down THREE large cake orders for the week I'm gone!) so I'm wrapping up the cake year I guess. Although my tasting is for a last minute wedding on Dec 31.

leah_s Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 3:46am
post #4 of 32

I've got one for tomorrow and one on Sunday. I'm just not in my groove tonight.

aundrea Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 3:49am
post #5 of 32

i was just wondering if there was a cake club tonight.
im doing an elmo cake for friends grandaughters first birthday on sunday.
same girl who i made castle cake for last weekend.
im just starting now. i really want to do a RIT elmo. but i dont know if it will dry by sunday. my last and only attempt was a mess!!
my grandaughter was sick all week and im worn out. too many sleepless nights this week.

snarkybaker Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 3:50am
post #6 of 32

Bwah- ha-ha...for the first time in six months I was out of the store on time on a Friday today. Most of our orders for the weekend are for cookie trays and buche de Noel...Easy Peasy.

dstbni Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 3:55am
post #7 of 32

My cakes for this weekend left a few hours ago. Trying to think of which cookies to bake for a fundraiser next week.

leah_s Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 3:57am
post #8 of 32

aundrea,
We start FNCC between 10:30 and 10:45 pm Eastern. And I haven't missed a Friday night in a loooong time!

Snarky,
lucky you! You can drive down here and clean my kitchen icon_smile.gif

aundrea Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 4:04am
post #9 of 32

ohhhhh i didnt know. thanks for the heads up!

snarkybaker Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 4:13am
post #10 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

aundrea,
We start FNCC between 10:30 and 10:45 pm Eastern. And I haven't missed a Friday night in a loooong time!

Snarky,
lucky you! You can drive down here and clean my kitchen icon_smile.gif

Love you tons and all, but I don't even clean my kitchen. How about if I buy you a drink instead ? A festive Christmas beverage perhaps?

leah_s Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 4:19am
post #11 of 32

mmm, sounds good.

Who's lurking?

7yyrt Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 4:25am
post #12 of 32

Cookie time around here...
Just finished mixing rum ball and brandy log dough. Chocolate and butterscotch chip is next.
Was going to make a pumpkin spice cake, but think I'll wait until tomorrow - Grandson is being a bit fussy tonight.
Anybody know how far ahead you can make 7 layer bars?

twooten173 Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 4:26am
post #13 of 32

Me... just checking in to see what you guys are up to. Have to make some cream puffs but I can't find my recipe... that's what I get for cleaning up - err organizing!

suzylynn58 Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 4:43am
post #14 of 32

Just in from a catering a Christmas party, got a wedding cake to deliver in the morning and a pickup baby shower cake.

THEN - I am CLOSED till after 1/1/10. I turned down several things for the next couple weeks, but I am exhausted with my full time job as well as the bakery. So am looking forward to 3 weekends off in a row. I will be soooo bored! LOL!

amberkw Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 4:46am
post #15 of 32

Hey y'all. Is this an invitation only? Am I crashing the party?

moxey2000 Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 5:00am
post #16 of 32

I'm working on a 3 tiered wedding cake for tomorrow afternoon. I've worked straight thru the past 2 weeks at my regular job and a lot of long hours. Add to that the annual school Christmas program (first year in 9 that I didn't bake anything for the refreshment table icon_redface.gif ), as well as the regular cake load and I can't remember the last time I slept a full 6 hours!

I'm making MFF right now so better get to it!

PS: This is my first time on the FNCC...I just might become a regular thumbs_up.gif !

janelwaters Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 5:00am
post #17 of 32

I've been doing so good lately, I'm usually done and asleep by now, but that ain't happening tonight! I'm catering a Christmas party tomorrow, a cake for Sunday and then I have to bake a ham for our church mom's group Christmas party on Sunday evening - I'm NEVER going to get done!!!

I just sat down to check FNCC and I was positive it had to be at least 3AM... guess I'm not working hard enough! Oh well, back to decorating the cookies.

aundrea Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 5:05am
post #18 of 32

you know- i just dont know how all of you do it!?! working full time, taking care of a family, making cakes?? even those of you who do cakes full time.
i just do this as a hobby whenever a family/friend wants me to make a cake. and i have such hard time just doing that. i know organazation is key-and thats my biggest problem. just the little bit i do-ill be up all night. or for instance, last weekend on the castle cake i did, i worked 30hours on that cake alone.
i couldnt imagine -adding more orders to that.
kuddos to all of you. you keep my inspired and motivated to do what i love doing.
and on that note.....ill be up for a few more hours finishing baking and trying to attempt another RIT.
btw-did i mention i bake in what i call 'easy bake oven' aka apartment size oven. i amaze everyone with what i bake because of the small size of my oven.

catlharper Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 5:32am
post #19 of 32

Hello to all,

Working on the figures for a Christmas cake due next Sunday for a party...finished the chimney and now waiting for that to set up overnight so I can put Santa in it! This is a busy week for me...60 mini's due for a company on Wednesday, 40 more minis for my son's school on Friday and then the 3 tier cake for the party on Sunday. This along with getting the final coordination done for a baby shower which is Jan 9th and my part time office job as well...gonna be a full week!

Hope everyone is having a really good holiday season!

prterrell Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 5:35am
post #20 of 32

Getting ready to go to bed (actually checking this from bed, in my pjs!). Dishwasher is running. I'm still behind on my Christmas baking. Had to go buy another 30 lbs of flour, then after getting stuff at the store, didn't feel like doing anything else tonight. Have a family party at noon tomorrow. Still have to make food and cake for that. I'll be having an early morning. I'll be baking and decorating cookies every moment I get pretty much from now til we leave for NC next Thursday. Argh! I'm never gonna get it all done!

leah_s Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 5:59am
post #21 of 32

amberkw,
you can always join in on the FNCC! We just like to know there's someone else up at this hour to "talk" to. Sometimes someone has a problem with a cake or cookies or something and we even put our heads together to solve it.

I've almost got this ginormous orange T iced.

cindycraig Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 6:15am
post #22 of 32

Sounds like you girls are having fun- I should be caking but I'm wrapping gifts while my kids are snoozing. I only have a cupcake order for Sunday, so I guess I'll knock them out tomorrow. Have fun caking and have a great weekend! icon_smile.gif

StacyR Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 6:17am
post #23 of 32

I'm working on a Yo Gabba Gabba cake for a semi crazy client and yet one more zebra print gift box for someone I've never met. She saw one of my cakes at a party and called me up. I'm loving this business!

We have a storm coming through and the power has flickered twice. I'm finished baking, though, so I could do the rest by candlelight/flashlight if I needed to. I finished the popcorn box cakes earlier and they're gone. Three cakes per weekend is comfortable for me to do and still have a life.

By the way, not to get too sappy, but I can't thank you you ladies enough for the tips and ideas you give everyday. I have yet to take a class but learn something new every time I log on. You guys are the best!

leah_s Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 6:25am
post #24 of 32

icon_smile.gif

sugarjones Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 6:35am
post #25 of 32

Hey, this is cool! I was just about to watch Julie & Julia but I had to check CC first. I'm up to my armpits in Heat Miser cupcakes this week so I'm getting ingredients together and I made a chocolate cake for my boyfriend's son's bday (I'm attempting my first ice cream cake tomorrow. Yikes) Really appropriate for 10 degree weather! haha

Suzycakes Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 6:51am
post #26 of 32

I'm here too! I'm working on a 4 tier wedding cake to for tomorrow - luckily the design for it is super simple and exactly like one I did a few months ago icon_smile.gif!

There is a full sheet already decorated and waiting to be delivered in the morning and a 1st b'day cake walked out the door earlier today as well as those lovely petit fours that Leahs loves so much! Yep - I was up until 2:30 a.m. this morning getting those finished! Good thing the 'real' job was easy today!LOL!

But I'm having major trouble staying focused tonight -- too much online Christmas shopping is keeping my attention away from where it should be! I didn't start shopping until last Saturday and I'm actually almost finished!

I have to say - this is my last wedding cake until April (so far) -- and I am totally ready for a break from them!! I know they are good money and I'm always pleased when they are finished - but man they can wear a body out! I'm one of those with the regular 40 hr week job and then caking on the side . . . .

I'll check back a little later!

Suze

7yyrt Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 7:06am
post #27 of 32

Nighty-night, ladies - I think I'll leave baking more Christmas goodies for the morning.

Happy baking!

Cathy26 Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 9:45am
post #28 of 32

i just had a giant cupcake to do - went so much better than last time - i think i know the best way to cover it now so its neater and doesnt have the horrible back seam my last one had.

nice early night for me, only took a couple of hours.

MORSELSBYMARK Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 12:21pm
post #29 of 32

I was supposed to be working on Holiday chocolates - but came home from work to learn our house was broken into - they only Xmas gifts they took were clothes and some $$. The rest was weird stuff - wife's perfumes, some clothes, a laundry hamper. Cops figure it was kids. Thankfully, we're insured. Now I just gotta double up on productivity today icon_smile.gif

JenniferMI Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 1:23pm
post #30 of 32

Just a couple party cakes......

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%