Difference Between Imbc And Smbc?

Decorating By JustToEatCake Updated 21 Feb 2012 , 4:27am by Gracielicious

jolie1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolie1977 Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 7:40pm
post #31 of 57

Hmmm... I have a wedding cake to make this weekend and am truly sick or regular buttercream icing (the Wilton recipe)... so I would like to try IMBC or SMGC... but having never worked with it before, I'm a little afraid I won't be able to get the same smooth results I get with my crusting buttercream... Would you say that most of you use IMBC or SMBC for your wedding cakes? And does the "towel smoothing" method with the fondant smoother stll work with this "non-crusting" icing?

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 11:25pm
post #32 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolie1977

Hmmm... I have a wedding cake to make this weekend and am truly sick or regular buttercream icing (the Wilton recipe)... so I would like to try IMBC or SMGC... but having never worked with it before, I'm a little afraid I won't be able to get the same smooth results I get with my crusting buttercream... Would you say that most of you use IMBC or SMBC for your wedding cakes? And does the "towel smoothing" method with the fondant smoother stll work with this "non-crusting" icing?

I don't know about the smoothing myself, still waiting to hear on that one but I do know that Planet Cake uses a meringue frosting on their cakes.

jolie1977 Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 3:05am
post #33 of 57

We shall them both patiently await a reply to this question! ;o) In the meantime, I think I might just give one of these recipes a try and see what I think tastes best! As far as the smoothing, if I have time to test out that theory as well, I'll let you know of the results I find!

JustToEatCake Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 5:14am
post #34 of 57
Quote:

We shall them both patiently await a reply to this question! ;o) In the meantime, I think I might just give one of these recipes a try and see what I think tastes best! As far as the smoothing, if I have time to test out that theory as well, I'll let you know of the results I find!

Do let me know please. I have all my ingredients but I got sick on Monday unexpectedly or I'd have already tried IMBC. Maybe tomorrow for me too, we'll see. I had planned on trying it and taking poinsettia cupcakes to a even on Thursday but at this rate I might just be lucky to feel good enough to go... icon_rolleyes.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 5:44am
post #35 of 57

Yes, I use IMBC on wedding cakes. It is the only kind of buttercream I use.

No, you can NOT use the techniques to smooth the icing that you use with crusting buttercream.

The good news is that you don't need them! Meringue buttercreams are incredibly easy to smooth. All you need is a spatula and a thin plastic bowl scraper.

jolie1977 Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 2:06pm
post #36 of 57

prterrell... I usually always heated my metal "bench scraper" in a pot of boiling water to smooth my buttercream icing... it made it extra smooth... any benefits to doing this with IMBC?

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 5:18pm
post #37 of 57

I just use a heated spatula or a spackle smoother thingy I got from the hardware store, works perfectly, a bench scraper should be great too.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 5:30pm
post #38 of 57

SMBC fanatic here, and I am insistent on the smoothest sharpest corners and glass like surfaces. Won't settle for less.

Get a handle-less bench scraper like this one, meaning the handle does not extend out preventing you from lining it up on it's side perfectly straight against your cake: http://www.palmerwholesale.com/images/lgk3620.jpg

If you are familiar with Sugarshack smoothing method, this is what I do, omitting the steps using paper/paper towels, as meringues don't crust so it wouldn't work.

If you are patient and practice this, you can get the shiniest smoothest surfaces with sharper than sharp edges. Perfection, in my opinion. SMBC is my bestest friend, next to my bench scraper and pot of hot water when I'm working on a cake.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 5:32pm
post #39 of 57

JustToEatCake-PC uses ganache. That is the other way to get sharpitty sharp. I do that sometimes too, but SMBC is so easy and quick for me, it's my preferred route.

jolie1977 Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 8:42pm
post #40 of 57

I am VERY familiar with Sugarshack's method and have the exact bench scraper she uses so I know exactly what you mean! I've noticed some of you use SMBC and some use IMBC... what's the big difference if any??? Also, using the search engine on this website, I was only able to find one recipe for SMBC and IMBC... are they all pretty much the same? Thank you so much for all your feedback! I am learning soooo much!!!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 9:31am
post #41 of 57

The only difference between IMBC and SMBC is in the method by which they are made.

You can use the heated spatula/bench scraper method for smoothing both. I don't as I find it smooths perfectly for me without it.

JustToEatCake Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 10:20pm
post #42 of 57

I just wanted to add to this thread my experience today. I made IMBC using grocery store brand "all whites" pasteurized and they would never whip. I whipped them with KA mixer for 15 minutes and all I could get was a spongy cream, pourable. So I am not sure what kind of eggs you all are buying but I wish I could figure it out. After the failure I dumped it and started again with real egg whites and had no problems whatsoever.

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 10:39pm
post #43 of 57

Exactly Just ToEatCake--stick with real eggs and you should never have that problem again. Save the yoks for breakfast/dog food addition and citrus curds.

_Jamie_ Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 10:43pm
post #44 of 57
Quote:

I am VERY familiar with Sugarshack's method and have the exact bench scraper she uses so I know exactly what you mean! I've noticed some of you use SMBC and some use IMBC... what's the big difference if any??? Also, using the search engine on this website, I was only able to find one recipe for SMBC and IMBC... are they all pretty much the same? Thank you so much for all your feedback! I am learning soooo much!!!

The Well Dressed Cake SMBC-with variations....I just realized I need to track down all of my faves again...grrrrr! icon_mad.gif

Probably quicker to find by going to Google and typing in "Well Dressed SMBC Cake Central" ---will bring a result faster than searching the recipes.

jolie1977 Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 12:31am
post #45 of 57

Jamie - I did find that one! Thank you so much! I hate having to try 5 different recipes to figure out which one is the best, so thank you for that! I did copy and paste the URL, but I'm not sure if I did it right... for you! Thanks again!

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/5453/the-well-dressed-cake-swiss-meringue-buttercream-with-variations

jolie1977 Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 4:26pm
post #46 of 57

PROBLEM! I think? While warming the egg & sugar mixture over the pot of boiling water, eggs are cooking and making small chunks of egg whites... is this supposed to happen?

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 7:52pm
post #47 of 57
Quote:

PROBLEM! I think? While warming the egg & sugar mixture over the pot of boiling water, eggs are cooking and making small chunks of egg whites... is this supposed to happen?

No it isn't, whisk faster.

Mike

_Jamie_ Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 7:54pm
post #48 of 57

And make sure the water isn't too close to the bottom of your pan of whites/sugar. Water doesn't have to be at a raging roiling boil either.

jolie1977 Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 10:38pm
post #49 of 57

You guys are awesome! THANK YOU!

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 8:55pm
post #50 of 57

Can you use Sweetex instead of butter to get a whiter color icing and use butter and vanilla flavor?

_Jamie_ Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 10:52pm
post #51 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakingangel

Can you use Sweetex instead of butter to get a whiter color icing and use butter and vanilla flavor?

Yuck. Completely kills the whole point of making SMBC in the first place. When I want white SMBC, I don't add flavor. Period, and no, I wouldn't dare add imitation vanilla.

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 11:45pm
post #52 of 57

When I first tried SMBC I didn't do something right, it didn't turn out. I tried IMBC and had sucess on the first try. while IMBC seems like a lot to do your first time results will be right on.

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 12:06am
post #53 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jamie_

Quote:

Yuck. Completely kills the whole point of making SMBC in the first place. When I want white SMBC, I don't add flavor. Period, and no, I wouldn't dare add imitation vanilla.

I totally agree _Jamie_! These are rich, decadent frostings, any kind of substitutions would completely ruin them, or at least make them into something different that what they're supposed to be.IMOP, if you want pure, snow white, you need to use standard Crisco/shortening based frostings and no flavorings (I don't use imitation vanilla either). SMBC/IMBC are what they are; light, but rich, slightly sweet, creamy butter flavored frosting heaven. icon_smile.gif

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:51am
post #54 of 57

Make sure you use unsalted butter -- otherwise it turns out tasting like lightly-sweetened butter instead of frosting (I learned this the hard way!).

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 2:47pm
post #55 of 57

How are these icings under fondant! How long if using fondant over them can they sit out. I usually put my fondant on 2 days before delivery. I made cupcakes this weekend for a bridal fair and use The Well Dressed Cake recipe for French Vanilla Buttercream and it is fantastic. I had so many raves about it, it was unbelievable. Anyone used this icing under fondant???

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 3:07pm
post #56 of 57
Quote:

the smbc recipe that i used calls for a pound of butter. i used to sub 1/2 cup of Smart balance shortening for the butter to get a "whiter" icing, as well as to make it less "buttery". it worked like a charm. i wouldn't used regular shortening though, its too greasy. oh, and i really like Lorann double strength vanilla. ordinarily, i used pure vanilla but have found that this stuff works well for my smbc : )

Gracielicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gracielicious Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 4:27am
post #57 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilbern

I had this same question so I made SMBC, IMBC, FBC and ABC to do a side by side comparison. And I took some pics as well.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-650115-.html

Many thanks! This is really helpful. Glad I found this topic. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%