Here Is My Secret Ingredient For Cake!!

Baking By masturbaker Updated 12 Dec 2009 , 5:25am by prterrell

masturbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
masturbaker Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 12:53am
post #1 of 8

So, I've been using a "secret ingredient" for quite a while now... it really adds a lot of flavor and texture to the cake. I thought I'd share it with you all on here and you can tell me how you like it. When I'm making a cake, either from scratch or from a box... I usually like it to be a bit more dense because of carving or stacking or whatever. There's a great way to do this that will add a little density and add a lot of flavor..

Flavored Coffee creamer!

yep, that's it.. and i'm sure someone else on here uses it too, but it's a great flavorful addition. What I do is just replace the milk or water called for in the recipe with an equal amount of flavored coffee creamer! My favorite is hazelnut.. add it into a chocolate cake and it's awesome! Also, with the holidays they come out with all kinds of new flavors.. some I have tried with much success are pumpkin spice, caramel apple, and gingerbread.. these make great tasting cakes people... give it a try sometime!

Also, a lot of these creamers, coffeemate for one, is NON dairy, and gluten free! So it is a GREAT flavorful addition to a gluten or dairy free cake!! My "angle" is all organic cakes or vegan.. and this is a great product to use for cakes like that.

Let me know how you all like!

7 replies
sweetisome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetisome Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 1:11am
post #2 of 8

I hadn't thought of adding coffee creamer to the cake! I usually use it in place of the milk in my buttercreme though. I use a 1/2 + 1/2 mixture of light cream and evaporated milk in my cake...great "homemade" flavor and nice texture too! (I make my cakes begining with a box....if you couldn't guess icon_biggrin.gif )

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 1:19am
post #3 of 8

theres a post, actually a few very long ones, on here about the exact same thing. I know 'Macsmom' started one and was gracious beyond belief to give out a list of all her cake flavors, as well as the recipes. Did I mention shes amazing?!

Forgive me for not remembering other names at the moment, but I do recall reading a few others about this exact subject.

Personally, when I wanted to concentrate on decorating, I didnt want to incur the expense ( and truthfully the time also) to continually bake from scratch. However when I began baking simply from a box mix without making any additions/deletions/changes I couldnt in good consciousness serve the cake. IMHO, it was just awful. I experimented and with the help of CC and its wealth of information, I was able to make quite a bit of difference in the taste of the cakes, especially with coffee creamers. To this day, I always have them in the fridge or the freezer, 'just in case'.

I also use them in BC, they always add great fklavor in a very simple way.

I wish I knew how to post a link to the other posts, they are worth reading through.

Good luck

Jess

masturbaker Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 1:19am
post #4 of 8

hey "sweeti" yeah I forgot to put that... I'll add the flavored creamers into my buttercream too for extra flavor... I recently used the caramel apple creamer in buttercream with some apple pie spice and some caramel...... and iced my spice cake with it... OH MY GOD... freakin delish...

masturbaker Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 1:22am
post #5 of 8

Jess!!! geez.. now I feel completely unoriginal! I swear to god I came up with using flavored creamers on my own!!! And now I found out that there's already posts about it.. awwwwww.. shucks

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 5:06am
post #6 of 8

Hate to tell you this, but there isn't much that hasn't been discussed on here yet! icon_wink.gif

The science behind substituting water or milk with artificial coffee creamer: basically you are adding additional fat to the cake in the form of oil. Artificial coffee creamer (and whipped topping, too) are mostly comprised of oil, along with emulsifiers, stabilizers, and flavorings. You can acheive the same additional density and moisture by doubling the amount of fat (oil, butter or shortening) called for in a cake recipe.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 5:16am
post #7 of 8

huh? i thought i was understand adding the flavor creamer but now im confused on the above post?

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 5:25am
post #8 of 8

Sorry, what is confusing you?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%