German Chocolate Cake W/ Buttercream?

Decorating By busymom9501 Updated 12 Dec 2009 , 5:19am by prterrell

busymom9501 Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 12:01am
post #1 of 6

I have a friend who would like a German Chocolate cake for a friends b-day. In the gallery there are some VERY cute ones and it looks like they used a buttercream. I'm assuming its chocolate butter cream? and, do you frost the top with buttercream and then put the traditional cocount frosting on top of that? or just frost the top with the coconut?

Any thoughts on how chocolate buttercream tastes with german chocolate??

I was planning on doing 3 9" layers with coconut frosting as a filling and on the top and drizzled with melted chocolate.

Thanks!!!

5 replies
Tiffany29 Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 12:31am
post #2 of 6

That sounds good!
When my mom makes german chocolate cake, she uses a combo of choc buttercream and the coconut frosting.
Sometimes the b/c is the filling and the coconut frosting on the sides and top. Or she'll use coconut for the filling and top of cake and b/c on sides and decorate top a little with the b/c.
She changes it up alot.

Any way you do it, I'm sure it will be good!

fruitsnack Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 1:01am
post #3 of 6

When I did german choc cake for my dad, I used the regular coconut / pecan frosting for the filling, then buttercream for the outside.

JenniferMI Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 2:01am
post #4 of 6

I would think it would be just fine with BC..... just another flavor of chocolate cake...

Jen icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 2:39am
post #5 of 6

I'm with Jen ... it's just a chocolate cake.

There are no food rules. YOu can put any icing on any cake. thumbs_up.gif

(And who SAYS you 'have' to put cream cheese on a bagel? I hate cream cheese on a bagle .... pass the butter!) icon_lol.gif

prterrell Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 5:19am
post #6 of 6

Thanks Debi! Now I want a pumpernickel bagel with cream cheese, lox, cucumber, red onion, and tomato! Droool.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%