Any Ideas On How I Can Take Fondant Off Of Cake Dummies!!!??

Decorating By Jan14grands Updated 13 Dec 2009 , 2:37am by Jan14grands

Jan14grands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jan14grands Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 11:02pm
post #1 of 18

Please, any tips? It's been on a while and don't know how ti get it off of the cake dummie.. Maybe I'm the dummie icon_smile.gif

17 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 11:06pm
post #2 of 18

Yep. Easiest way in the world: Put dummy in thick plastic bag. Whack on ground. Rotate until it's cracked off most of the way. Pick off remaining pieces. Done.

Edited to add: no hot water mess, no slimy fondant, no splashing water, no stab wounds from trying to pry pieces off...yeah. Easiest way.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 11:17pm
post #3 of 18

I thought i read somewhere on here where someone just soaked the whole thing in hot water.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 11:27pm
post #4 of 18

I soaked and scrubbed- took a while!

Jan14grands Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 11:27pm
post #5 of 18

Ohhhh, that worked! And it was fun beating up a cake icon_smile.gif Usually have to be sooo careful with real cake. Thanks Jamie!! I bet hot water would work too, but this was more fun.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 11:47pm
post #6 of 18

I just stick my spatula under the lip of fondant and slide it down and it starts to come right off....

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 2:00am
post #7 of 18

Just a tip for the future...if you cover in Glad Press N Seal, you can then easily peel it right off for the next creation icon_smile.gif I use a light coat of piping gel over the Glad.

Jen icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 3:42am
post #8 of 18

Right...ok, so what I'm referring to is when the fondant is dried on there rock hard.

Jan14grands Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 1:02pm
post #9 of 18

which is what mine was - stuck on there rock hard - couldn't get a knife or anything under it. I will try the press and seal next time. Thanks!

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 1:23pm
post #10 of 18

I put mine in the dishwasher. works like a charm.

Jan14grands Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 3:48pm
post #11 of 18

Dishwasher, really? All covered in fondant?

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 3:54pm
post #12 of 18

If it fits in the dishwasher it is the best and neatest method.

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 3:59pm
post #13 of 18

I'm glad other people had this problem. Last week I decided to take the fondant off my dummy cake and had the hardest time. I used a knife and eventually got it off but it was very difficult. Thanks for all the tips....

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 4:01pm
post #14 of 18

I would never put that kind of thing in a dish washer unless it is one that has a built in garbage disposal and can handle chunks of food. Otherwise you risk blocking your pipes. Possibility: You run it and some gummy stuff gets stuck somewhere int here. You open and unload the dishwasher and the stuff dries rock hard again and breaks something the next time you run it.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 7:42pm
post #15 of 18

I've done it ever since B Keith Ryder told me about it in class. Have never had an issue. Once I had a small hunk that didn't rinse off and I just washed it off under the faucet. My machine has the option of high heat wash, so if I'm doing especially large dummies or something with lots of fondant, I use that.

drummer27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drummer27 Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 8:10pm
post #16 of 18

I had some that the fondant was rock hard and didn't want to pick it off. I put them in the proof box for about an hour and it softened up and peeled right off...that way you don't have to damage the dummy in the process of picking it off. Good luck!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 1:55am
post #17 of 18

Definitely the dishwasher!

Given that the fondant is essentially hardened sugar, the water and heat just melt it off. I run them thru with the extra heater on, no soap, and then air dry. I get nice clean dummies and no damage.

HTH
Rae

Jan14grands Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 2:37am
post #18 of 18

Yeah, I kinda damaged mine a little when I first tried picking off the fondant. Maybe dishwasher is the way to go.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%