Soooooo

Baking By davespeg Updated 12 Dec 2009 , 5:02pm by cylstrial

davespeg Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 10:56pm
post #1 of 14

today I finally got into the mood to do Christmas cookies. I read so much about NFSC that I decided to whip up a batch. The only thing I did different from the original recipe was throw in a box of french vanilla pudding mix, suggested by I can't remember who. My dough is so crumbly that it resembles the texture of a streusel (sp?) topping. I can't use it for cut outs because it won't roll out. Where did I go wrong??? Any suggestions?????

TIA

13 replies
Teekakes Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 11:14pm
post #2 of 14

Well, I would suggest remaking the NFSC as it is written, do not add the pudding. I have made this recipe for a long time now and it has never been crumbly or failed me in any way.
Sorry you had this problem but do give it a try following the recipe to a T icon_smile.gif

kelleym Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 11:14pm
post #3 of 14

I generally either add an extra egg to NFSC, or cut back my flour by one cup as I find the recipe has a tendency to be crumbly as written. I suspect adding the box of pudding just exacerbated the dryness. Can you put it back in the mixer and mix in some liquid like milk? Just add it a little at a time until the dough comes together.

Tiffany29 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 11:42pm
post #4 of 14

I agree it was probably the pudding. The dough is usually crumbly.

The only things I do differently to the NFSC recipe is cut the baking powder in half. And I decrease the flour to 5 3/4c.

That is what works for me. I have good results everytime.

davespeg Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 11:44pm
post #5 of 14

Teecakes...you're right, I should just follow the recipe as originally written.

Kellym...I'll go back and add a bit of milk.

Thanks again

Peggy

Skirt Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 12:02am
post #6 of 14

I always make a half recipe and make it in my KA with the beaterblade. That blade pulls together the dough AMAZINGLY. No crumbs. Just plunk on the parchment and roll. icon_smile.gif
But I do follow the recipe exactly...

davespeg Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 12:31am
post #7 of 14

I added some milk and that did the trick. However, while I was patting myself on the back, I realized I forgot about the batch of gingerbread cookies I had in the oven. icon_surprised.gif Oh yeah, they're over cooked. I figure my best couse of action is to pack it all away and start again tomorrow. Thank you all for your advice and quick response. I'm so glad there is a website like this.

prterrell Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 5:17am
post #8 of 14

The only thing I change is halving the baking powder. For the flavoring I do 1 tsp vanilla and 1/2 tsp almond. Yum! I baked 4 batches in the last couple of days. Rolled and baked like a dream!

mrsc808 Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 7:05am
post #9 of 14

I followed Tiffany's advice last week and it worked perfectly for me.

aundrea Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 7:58am
post #10 of 14

im definately not a roll cookie making person. but i tried this receipe earlier this year when i made my grandaughters castle cake, i made crown co icon_rolleyes.gif okies to match the theme for goody bags. this was the easiest cookie receipe ever! they rolled out smooth and didnt spread at all during baking. its the only receipe i will use.
i would say look at my pics to see how they came out.....but y'know the pics arent there right now icon_rolleyes.gif
my only advice would be to follow the receipe exaclty before trying to doctor it.
HTH

Tiffany29 Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 1:24pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Quote:

I followed Tiffany's advice last week and it worked perfectly for me.

I'm glad it worked for you! I love this recipe. My mother likes it too, she said it's the best sugar cookie she's had.

cylstrial Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 1:56pm
post #12 of 14

Yep - add a little milk to the mixture and it will come back together.

LaBellaFlor Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 2:17pm
post #13 of 14

I think Khalstead has a version with pudding in it. Maybe PM her to ask. I've followed the recipe tot he tee, even perfectly halved, no problems. For me , it's leterally been the NO FAIL Sugar Cookie and it taste really good.

cylstrial Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 5:02pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

I think Khalstead has a version with pudding in it. Maybe PM her to ask. I've followed the recipe tot he tee, even perfectly halved, no problems. For me , it's leterally been the NO FAIL Sugar Cookie and it taste really good.

Yes - Tina uses pudding. I actually use pudding in mine sometimes as well. If I ever have trouble, I just add a dab of milk. The cookies turn out beautifully and they taste great. No issues at all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%