Is Navy Color Achieveable With Wilton Food Coloring???

Decorating By jolie1977 Updated 14 Dec 2009 , 7:07pm by jolie1977

jolie1977 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 10

I'm starting to get a bit anxious... I just realized there is no such thing as NAVY food coloring sold by Wilton. I've done some research and it appears Americolor has it, but I live in Canada and I've never seen any other brands of food coloring around here other than Wilton...

Can anyone tell me if NAVY is possible by mixing other colors? I have a wedding cake to make for next Saturday and she wants the "loopy bow" on top to be Navy blue to match the ribbon going on the border of each tier...

Can anyone shed some light on this?

9 replies
mcdonald Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 10

I put some black in with my sky blue and it seems to help get it darker... not too much though.... I hate navy.. it is a hard color...

You might also try this chart if it helps....

JanH Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 8:11pm
post #3 of 10

Here's a color wheel that might be of use:

jolie1977 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 8:33pm
post #4 of 10

Thank you for that! I will experiment with colors!

Does anyone know if the Americolor brand is sold in stores in Canada??? Or USA? I"m only 1 1/2hrs from the border, so I could always drive over, worse case scenario... I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner! I could've ordered it online! Now I don't have enough time! icon_redface.gif

Jaeger Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 8:42pm
post #5 of 10

Are you in Ontario? There are a few places where you can buy Americolor. They might be within driving distance.

icer101 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 8:56pm
post #6 of 10

i have navy by americolor.. but before i did.. i used wilton.. royal blue .lot of royal blue .. then added some black. it worked great for me at the time..hth

prterrell Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 9:56pm
post #7 of 10

Violet + sky blue = navy. It will take a lot.

jolie1977 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 1:51am
post #8 of 10

I'm on the East Coast... New-Brunswick. The only stores around here that I know of that sell food coloring are Bulk Barn and Micheals... I'll try the Royal Blue and Violet and see how that goes... I'll get back with my results! ;o) Thank you ALL for your input!!!

KTB4 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 3:17am
post #9 of 10

Golda's Kitchen in Mississauga sells Americolors. The prices are pretty reasonable and shipping isn't too bad given the astronomical amounts we pay in Canada icon_biggrin.gif

I've bought the navy from them but have yet to use it.

jolie1977 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 7:07pm
post #10 of 10

I am happy to report that I played around with the Wilton "Royal Blue", "Violet" and "Black" and managed to get an exact color match to the ribbon the bride had given me! I am so excited!!! Now I'm hoping the large quantity of food coloring won't affect the gumpaste too much (make it too soft) for me to make the loopy bow cake topper!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%