How Much Would You Pay...?

Decorating By Juds Updated 12 Dec 2009 , 1:30pm by Mike1394

Juds Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 4:34pm
post #1 of 15

for this cake? 3 layers 13 x 9 sponge with whip cream and fruit filling, iced with whip cream more fruit and almonds on the side.

oops! not sure how to post pic
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_173893.html

TIA

14 replies
letsgetcaking Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 4:42pm
post #2 of 15

Sorry, I can't help you with the pricing, but that cake looks and sounds delicious!

sadsmile Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 15

You can compare what other bakeries or cake stores in your area are charging to price things in your bakery cake shop.

Mike1394 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 5:08pm
post #4 of 15

I wouldn't

Mike

cakesdivine Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 5:11pm
post #5 of 15

you say 3 layers but you classify it as a torte which usually means you take a 2" layer and slice it into 3, is that what you did? If so I would charge at least $50. If it is a 7" or 8" high cake with 3 2" layers with fruit in between the layers then triple that price due to the triple amounts of servings.

sadsmile Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 5:17pm
post #6 of 15

And for Florida check this out...

http://sellingcakes.com/?p=171

Juds Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 5:40pm
post #7 of 15

cakedivine, It's just one of those daysicon_sad.gif My correction it is a torte. Thanks

Mike, Why wouldn't you?

Sadsmile, Thanks but I haven't sold a cake in over 6 yrs. hopefully in the near future I'll be able to get the ball rolling again.

I was just curious

Mike1394 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 5:45pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juds

cakedivine, It's just one of those daysicon_sad.gif My correction it is a torte. Thanks

Mike, Why wouldn't you?

Sadsmile, Thanks but I haven't sold a cake in over 6 yrs. hopefully in the near future I'll be able to get the ball rolling again.

I was just curious

Nothing wrong with the cake. It's just not in my taste area.

Mike

snarkybaker Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 5:46pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juds

Mike, Why wouldn't you?

I was just curious

Mike wouldn't for the same reason I wouldn't. We both own bakeries and can make our own.

That cake you made doesn't look too different than the ones in the high end grocery stores around here and the sell for about $30.

catlharper Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 6:07pm
post #10 of 15

Chances are your local bakery would be selling something like this for about $25. I would check your local stores to get an idea.

dg10148 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 6:25pm
post #11 of 15

Mike
Where in Michigan is your bakery.

cakesdivine Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 7:53pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

Chances are your local bakery would be selling something like this for about $25. I would check your local stores to get an idea.

Yes but a local mass producing bakery or grocery store bakery can afford only a few dollars in profit due to the sheer volume they can sell/produce.

The small home business baker must pay retail for their ingredients and paper goods; thus the mark up must be more to accommodate the added expenditures.

JanH Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 7:57pm
post #13 of 15

Moving from Business forum...

LaBellaFlor Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 8:20pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

Yes but a local mass producing bakery or grocery store bakery can afford only a few dollars in profit due to the sheer volume they can sell/produce.

The small home business baker must pay retail for their ingredients and paper goods; thus the mark up must be more to accommodate the added expenditures.

This is true, but this cake is very typical of a grocery store. I, who have paid custom cake prices, would not order this cake from a custom cake person. I would just get it from the grocery store, instead of paying a custom price.

I also would not try to sell this cake as a custom cake. I couldn't compete with the grocery price, I wouldn't feel right charging someone for it (why I don't sell cupcakes and send them to my competition), and it does not reflect a "custom" cake, which is how I justify my pricing. For me to sell that cake it would be at least $150, they can get it at the market for $25 bucks.

Mike1394 Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 1:30pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg10148

Mike
Where in Michigan is your bakery.

I don't have a storefront, but I'm in Roseville.

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%