Attaching Fondant Decos To Wire.....?

Decorating By Saharan1965 Updated 12 Dec 2009 , 12:20am by Ruth0304

Saharan1965 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 3:52pm
post #1 of 8

Im making little fondant graduation hats to attach to wire sticks to put in the top of my cake...what do i use to glue the hats to the wire...Im using 20 gauge wire. I have chocolate bark...is that the best thing to use? Im at my moms house in the middle of nowhere so my supplies and resources are kinda limited.....

7 replies
Saharan1965 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 4:07pm
post #2 of 8

this is what im going for....should I just stick them inside the fondant and hope they stay without sagging?

http://www.pinkcakebox.com/images/cake451.jpg

MJoycake Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 8

I'm about to do the same thing with some fondant bees for a beehive cake....I think you slip the wire in when you make the fondant piece and let it dry on the wire, but I'd love to hear a definite answer from someone who's done this before.

rainbow_kisses Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 4:24pm
post #4 of 8

I make a little hook on the end of the wire and then heat it gently in the flame of a candle then carefully push the wire into the fondant although I use a modeling paste or fondant with tylose/cmc mix to help it harden up and not flop.
The heated wire then cools and the paste with stick to the wire securely.

JuneBugBaby Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 11:29pm
post #5 of 8

I too lit the wire and stuck it in my gumpaste. They were good to go! icon_biggrin.gif

madgeowens Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 11:53pm
post #6 of 8

I would use coffee stir straws to stick the wires in those to keep them where you want. hth

madgeowens Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 11:55pm
post #7 of 8

oopsies.....I didnt read that right sorry icon_smile.gif

Ruth0304 Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 12:20am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrummymummy

I make a little hook on the end of the wire and then heat it gently in the flame of a candle then carefully push the wire into the fondant although I use a modeling paste or fondant with tylose/cmc mix to help it harden up and not flop.
The heated wire then cools and the paste with stick to the wire securely.

I was also wondering about that, thanks that sounds like it would work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%