Royal Icing Question

Decorating By Kerrym Updated 11 Dec 2009 , 7:34pm by TexasSugar

Kerrym Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 8

How do I make dried royal icing decorations? Like these....
I want to make some to put on top of my cake balls.
Thank you !!

Kerry
LL

7 replies
cylstrial Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 3:51pm
post #2 of 8

It looks like a rope border, just in a circle. You just use a star tip for the wreath and then probably tip 2 for the bow and dots. Just make sure that you have thick RI so that it will hold it's shape.

TexasSugar Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 8

Ohh those are too cute!

I would take the e-motion border (http://www.wilton.com/technique/e-Motion) and pipe it in a tight circle. You can do it on wax paper, parchment paper or plastic wrap. Since I really like plastic page protectors I'd actually probably trace some circles on a piece of paper and slide that into the plastic page protector and tape that to a cake board. I use the page protectors cause it usually pops right off with out any problems.

I'm glad you posted this, because it is such a simple and easy idea, and would be great for quick holiday cupcakes. You could also pipe some trees too, if you wanted a little variaty.

Kerrym Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 4:25pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you for the help! It seems simple enough...trace it and let it dry. I also wanted to try a holly leaf.

TexasSugar Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 5:13pm
post #5 of 8

I don't know how big your cake balls are, but I like to use the small/mini cookie cutters for outlines to fill in on cupcakes. icon_smile.gif

BooBooKitty Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 7:05pm
post #6 of 8

Oh those are very cute..

motherofgrace Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 7:30pm
post #7 of 8

i tried to do this but a little xmas tree, and it didnt hold its shape, I used antiona74's RI not thinned at all.... so next time should I make it thicker?

TexasSugar Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 7:34pm
post #8 of 8

Add a little powder sugar or corn starch. I haven't used her icing so I don't know what the amounts are.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%