Please Help?? What Is The Trick To Baking With 3" Deep

Decorating By sweettooth622 Updated 14 Dec 2009 , 2:02am by sweettooth622

sweettooth622 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth622 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 6:41am
post #1 of 7

I'm sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but I just tried baking with 3" deep cake pans for the first time tonight and the first cake I pulled out of the oven (10" round) LOOKED fine on the top, and the cake tester came out clean when I inserted it, BUT after it cooled for a bit and I flipped it over onto the cooling rack, the bottom caved in and it looked like a doughnut! icon_cry.gif The center of the cake was not cooked at all.

I used the straps around the outside of the pan, but I'm wondering if they should be wider...?? Mine are for 2" deep pans.

I did an 8" cake too, and had the same result, only with the 8" I used a flour nail in addition to the straps (I only have one flour nail) but it didn't help at all.

Is there a trick or should I have just cooked them longer? or Reduced the temp or raised it?

Any help would be SO appreciated!

6 replies
SugarNSpiceDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarNSpiceDiva Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 6:56am
post #2 of 7

Hi MamaLlapitan622!!

Thats def not a stupid question IMO. I'm not an expert, but I use 3" pans and don't have a problem.

Maybe THIS is a stupid question, but did you wet the strips before you put them around the pans? I think its the moisture from them that helps the cake bake evenly.

Also, do you have an oven thermometer? Maybe your oven is baking a little low.

I'm sorry. Wish I could help more. Maybe some more experienced bakers will chime in for ya. Good luck!

CandyCU Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyCU Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 7:18am
post #3 of 7

Hi MamaLlapitan622,

No, not a stupid question! I'm still a newbie though I've had a similar problem to this als.

All I did was invest in a good oven thermometer, lowered the cooking temperature and increased the cooking time - trial and error really.

HTH! Happy baking!

Cheers!
Cindy

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 8:54am
post #4 of 7

Cakes baked in 3" deep pans should have wet strips and a temp of 325. An 8" round, 3" deep cake will take approx 55 mins to bake.

Don't go opening the oven door to re-arrange the pans or anything like that, as you'll lose a lot of heat. Be patient, grasshopper, and check the cake around the 45 minute mark.

An oven thermometer is an invaluable tool. Your oven may be way off.

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 9:22am
post #5 of 7

I've started using flower nails in the bottom of my pans this will help distribute your heat or you can use a heat core in the larger pans. To stablize the nail I insert it into a piece of parchment paper,spray pans and nail with bakers joy.

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 4:28pm
post #6 of 7

All my pan are 3 in deep,I bake in my 10 in all the time and i have never used a heating core or flower nail. Bake it at 325, and i usually check it at 50 minutes, although most times it takes a little longer. I bake from a mix, and my rule is anytime i use more than 1 box, i turn the oven down to 325, 1 mix or less, and i turn the oven up to 350. I hope this helps good luck!

sweettooth622 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth622 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 2:02am
post #7 of 7

Thank you all for your replies icon_biggrin.gif . Yes, I did wet the strips before placing them on the pans and no I don't have an oven thermometer. I think I need to get me one a.s.a.p.
And I also see some practice cakes in my immediate future as well icon_lol.gif
Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%