Why Do My Cakes Pull So Far Away From The Pan?

Decorating By laura4795 Updated 12 Dec 2009 , 6:42am by laura4795

laura4795 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 5:26am
post #1 of 15

Is it because I use spray oil? Too much? I've tried spraying, then flouring but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

It's really hard to get the sides of a cake straight when they are pulled away from the edge of the pan...

14 replies
m420chelle Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 5:38am
post #2 of 15

Without more info, my guess would be that you are baking the cakes too long or they don't have enough moisture in the cake. Are you using a cake mix? A scratch recipe? Whole milk/water/skim milk? Butter vs. oil?

JanH Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 5:43am
post #3 of 15

Usually, cakes pull (dramatically) away from the sides of the pan when they're overbaked...

Don't use spray oil so I don't know if that's a factor. But you might want to try making your own pan
grease and see if that resolves the issue. (Just mix together equal parts oil, shortening and flour.)

There are more baking hints & tips in this thread:
(Also frosting, fondant and doctored cake mix recipes - and so much more!.)

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Handy cake troubleshooting charts:

http://tinyurl.com/2p5bdu

http://tinyurl.com/32goqe

http://tinyurl.com/6c745g

http://tinyurl.com/6lpjww

HTH

madgeowens Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 6:00am
post #4 of 15

over baking can cause the cake to pull away from the sides

CakeDiosa Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 6:06am
post #5 of 15

I used to use cake release but now just spray Pam and don't have that problem. You are baking too long. Try pulling them out sooner.

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 6:09am
post #6 of 15

Long time ago you could get your oven calibrated, when it started messing up. NO MORE!

So, you may be over baking. This is not your fault! The oven could be off in La La land and doing what it wants to do.

Borrowing from Alton Brown, the best tool that only has one use is an oven thermometer. It has helped me. My oven bakes either 25 degrees too low or 25 too high. Normally, it's only 15 degrees too low. Sometimes it just goes nuts.

It can also depend on weather conditions. I'm trying to figure out how to fix all my cakes now that TX is getting rain.

HTH

Loucinda Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 1:28pm
post #7 of 15

For perfectly baked cakes, check with a toothpick - there should be some moist (NOT wet) crumbs on it when you pull it out of the oven. IF it comes out all clean (no crumbs) it is overbaked.

DianeLM Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 2:59pm
post #8 of 15

You may be overfilling your pans. It takes so long for the center to finish cooking, the outer edges have already overcooked and pulled away.

Rosa2745 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 3:11pm
post #9 of 15

I agree with others, the cakes are probably overbaking. Also if you let them cool in the pan for longer then 7 min there will be additional shrinkage. One trick that I learned from my DH cousin (that works in a very well know bakery here) is that when you think your cake is just about ready you place your hand in the oven and with just the tips of your finders you slighly touch the cake top. If the impressions of your fingers stay on the cake, then it needs more time. If the cake just fluffs back up with no impression, then it is ready. No need to poke cake! I love this method because i hate looking for toothpicks to poke cake.

Loucinda Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 3:17pm
post #10 of 15

Rosa - that method isn't foolproof - I used to check that way, but the WASC cake recipe tricked me a couple of times....it would act done by touching it - but the centers were a little under done. That is why I do the toothpick method each time now just to be sure.

Rosa2745 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 6:21pm
post #11 of 15

Oh, I have used that recipe a few times but due to cost I just stick to box mix without the extras in there. It works great for me but I guess it can vary on different recipes. What do you think is better pam for baking (the one that has the flour) or cake release (like the one wilton sells). I usually use pam and have no problems but I wonder if there is something better out there.

Loucinda Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 11:17pm
post #12 of 15

I personally use the homemade cake release (equal portions of flour, vegetable oil, and shortning) I haven't found anything that works better than that.

WebDiva Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 11:41pm
post #13 of 15

I recently bought the Crisco baking spray and I found that it causes my cakes to do this. Much more so that Pam. But I've gone back to butter and flour.

-WebDiva

JenniferMI Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 2:04am
post #14 of 15

Over baking...to hot oven. Try turning the oven down a bit. Wet some towels, strip them up and place around the outside of the pan. It will help that not to happen, keeping the outside of the cake baking the same as the inside. I do this on all my cakes.

Jen icon_smile.gif

laura4795 Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 6:42am
post #15 of 15

Thanks for all of the responses. I guess it is clear that I need to take them out of the oven a little earlier! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%