? About How To Start Doing Cakes And What All I Will Need.

Decorating By BrittanyN Updated 10 Dec 2009 , 10:43pm by metria

BrittanyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrittanyN Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 10:18pm
post #1 of 7

I was wanting to get started into making cakes. I need to know what all I need and a good recipe for icing and cakes. =)
Thanks!

6 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 10:27pm
post #2 of 7

Why don't you sign up for a Wilton class at one of the craft stores in your area? It's not expensive and the kit that you have to buy for the class has the basic things you need in order to get started, too.

dkltll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dkltll Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 10:27pm
post #3 of 7

First thing is to have Cake Central on speed dial! Anything you need to know is here & if you can't find it someone (like Indydebi) will absolutely help out! The second thing you need is patience & determination (trust me).

Indydebi's buttercream is really good & can be found here http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Cake Decorationg! thumbs_up.gif

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 7

Yes, the local Wilton classes are the best place to start to find out if you will enjoy decorating.

dkltll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dkltll Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 10:29pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Why don't you sign up for a Wilton class at one of the craft stores in your area? It's not expensive and the kit that you have to buy for the class has the basic things you need in order to get started, too.

Yes, that is a great idea! I took my first class at Michael's. Hobby Lobby also teaches Wilton classes. It is a great jumping off point.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 10:42pm
post #6 of 7

Hi and Welcome to CC, BrittanyN. icon_smile.gif

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Above super thread has popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) - and so much more!

Baking help, with hints & tips (recipe for making pan grease) info on use of flower nails to replace baking cores, and bake even strips - and more.

Popular techniques to smooth icing.

How to assemble help with links to common cake support system photos with complete directions. And extensive info on SPS cake support system.

And lots more.

HTH

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 10:43pm
post #7 of 7

If you want to get started right away, I suggest picking up a cake decorating book. Lots of them appeal to beginners. I went to my local library and checked out everything they had and looked through them at home. Even if the books are old (my library had stuff from the 70s), it's still good information.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%