How Do I Make A Pretty Cake Board?

Decorating By JuneBugBaby Updated 11 Dec 2009 , 9:56am by zdebssweetsj

JuneBugBaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuneBugBaby Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 9:34pm
post #1 of 17

I am watching the creative designs DVD and she has such pretty cake boards. They look like they are wrapping paper covered in saran wrap? Is that right? can I do that? I know you can cover the board in fondant but that's a lot of waste to me! Anyone got suggestions?

16 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 17

You can cover wrapping paper with clear contact paper on a cake board. The colored contact papers aren't food safe, but the clear one is. Saran wrap wouldn't be a good choice because it's too easy to cut through and end up with pieces in the cake.

I save all of my fondant scraps and cover my cake boards with them...just store the leftover fondant in a bag in the freezer. Because it's going on the board and not going to be eaten, it doesn't matter if it's been in the freezer a few months. Most of the boards that I do are black, so I mix all my colored scraps together and then it doesn't take a ton of black color to turn them black.

JuneBugBaby Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 10:02pm
post #3 of 17

thanks! Where can I buy contact paper? Good idea about freezing the fondant and coloring it black... I'll have to try that!

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 10:16pm
post #4 of 17

You can buy contact paper at Walmart or other stores like that, near the shelf paper, kitchen utensils, dish racks, etc.

dorie67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorie67 Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 10:19pm
post #5 of 17

I was also going to suggest the contact paper that has already been posted. princess.gif

MamaScooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaScooby Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 10:42pm
post #6 of 17

I use material that matches the theme of the cake. Then a cover it with clear contact paper. And they can be reused if your cake is on a cake board itself.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 11:01pm
post #7 of 17

Scrapbook paper+contact paper+cake drum=endless designs! Love scrapbook paper!

JuneBugBaby Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 1:42am
post #8 of 17

Oh scrapbook paper! Didn't even think of that!! Thanks ladies.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 1:56am
post #9 of 17

Jamie... don't forget to tell them to make sure their cake is on it's own food safe cake board that will separate the cake from the contact paper. thumbs_up.gif

Texas I contacted the company and they said none of them are food safe, and the recomend to be sure to put your food on napkins or plates and set the plates on the decorated surfaces.

__Jamie__ Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 1:58am
post #10 of 17

Nah, you just did. icon_biggrin.gif Did you see the response someone got from the makers of the clear contact paper? About it being food safe? I thought that was great!

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 2:09am
post #11 of 17

Just so I can understand....do you cover the board with wrapping paper, scrap book paper etc.. and then cover that with contact paper??

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 2:51am
post #12 of 17

lol I have to say it does sound a bit clear like mud haha....I am not sure myself now what they said. Cover it with fondant icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 2:55am
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normita

Just so I can understand....do you cover the board with wrapping paper, scrap book paper etc.. and then cover that with contact paper??

I put the contact paper flat, sticky side exposed, lay the paper on that (decorated side down of course), soI can smooth out bubbles. Then I use double sided tape to get it on the board, then I trim around it. Then I turn the board over....and behold the beauty. Lol...just kidding. But yeah, that's how I do it. That way it's lined up, no bubbles, no exposed drum anywhere....perfect. icon_smile.gif

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 3:24am
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normita

I put the contact paper flat, sticky side exposed, lay the paper on that (decorated side down of course), soI can smooth out bubbles. Then I use double sided tape to get it on the board, then I trim around it. Then I turn the board over....and behold the beauty. Lol...just kidding. But yeah, that's how I do it. That way it's lined up, no bubbles, no exposed drum anywhere....perfect. icon_smile.gif

Ooooooohhh...now I understand =)

11cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11cupcakes Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 3:32am
post #15 of 17

You can cover it with royal icing.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 5:37am
post #16 of 17

You can also cover the decorated board with food-safe cello wrap that you can get at Michael's. I always put a ribbon around the edge of the board as well.

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 9:56am
post #17 of 17

I usually use freezer paper to wrap my board, if the cake is covered in BC I'll cover the board in BC then what ever design I've used on the cake will follow thru to the board. Same thing if I use fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%