Dry Crumbley Fondant...help

Decorating By Sweetlikeme Updated 11 Dec 2009 , 12:03am by CakeDiosa

Sweetlikeme Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 7:20pm
post #1 of 4

I made fondant from Michelle Fosters recipe I got here on CC. It is dry and crumbley I followed the instrustions to the T. What can I add now to make it more pliable?

3 replies
dsilvest Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 4

You probably added too much of the powdered sugar. It is best to add about a cup less, let it rest 8 hours and then check to see if it is sticky. If it is a bit sticky cover your hands with a bit of shortening and knead in. A lot sticky add powdered sugar a bit at a time. You may not need it all.

As for the batch that you now have, I would make a new batch and leave more than 1 cup of the ps out. It will be sticky. Let it rest and then knead your two batches together. You may have to break them up into smaller amounts to be easier to handle. The sticky batch will counter the dry batch.

Sometimes if the fondant is a bit dry stick it into the microwave for 10 second intervals. It will soften enough to work with. You might even add some more shortening to it as well.

Sweetlikeme Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 7:54pm
post #3 of 4

thank you so much

CakeDiosa Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 12:03am
post #4 of 4

When I found myself with a dry batch of MMF that was beyond repair I just added more water than I ever thought could help then kneaded it in. It got all gooey and gloppy but eventually all of that water kneaded in and the next day it was fine. I was just sort of "experimenting" to see what would happened since I figured it was ruined any way. Give it a try. It's gonna get really messy and you'll swear you've ruined it but keep kneading. It's dry and will drink up that water. I literally poured water onto it in a bowl.

Might work???? good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%