Man, I Can't Stand Non-Stick Crap

Decorating By cheeseball Updated 11 Dec 2009 , 1:37am by Sabre3of4

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 5

I bought these super heavy cast aluminum Bundt-lette pans from Nordic Ware before we left the States. Thought they'd be cool for Christmas this year and unpacked them, still in the original packaging. Now, these were purchased on a whim, since I don't make a habit of buying non-stick because I know the stuff comes off after a while (and all of my other baking pans are professional grade) but the non-stick coating is flaking off and they've never been used icon_mad.gif. I e-mailed the company and they responded with, "We don't make that pan anymore, icon_rolleyes.gif but if you wash them really well and then grease and flour them, they'll be fine." I just e-mailed them back, "Yeah, no, they aren't. I've washed and washed and washed them and you can still see flecks of non-stick coating on the paper towel when I dry them - I don't think it's safe to eat anything baked in them."

I'm pretty bummed about tossing them, but I think they're a loss (unless someone knows if they can be re-coated? or sandblasted down to the base? icon_lol.gif )

4 replies
Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 6:22pm
post #3 of 5

Yummy!!!... little black flakes of Teflon coating!

No that's just pepper in there. icon_wink.gif

I am replacing anything nonstick I have now with SS when it gets scratched. The none stick stuff is really bad if you cook in high heat anyway as it gives off toxic fumes. So browning meat isn't good nor is frying.

I will keep one none stick skillet for eggs and pancakes, and buy a new one when it gets scratched, because it makes cooking those so easy.

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:

No, mine have six to a pan

Sabre3of4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sabre3of4 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 1:37am
post #5 of 5

I so know what you mean. I've been trying to break my hubby of the non-stick habit and sometimes my family gets really steamed when I tell them 'NO non stick anything!' for presents. They just don't get that I would rather have one SS pan or a really good aluminum baking sheet than a whole set of cheap, crappy non-stick.

It just doesn't work for me.......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%