Fondant Help!!! ???

Decorating By Firewife54 Updated 13 Dec 2009 , 3:55am by Firewife54

Firewife54 Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 4:49pm
post #1 of 4

I covered my first fondant cake in a Wilton class last night and it looks great still. I then went home and covered a small 6" cake on my own but this morning the sides at the top look like its bubbled up underneath. Like there is gas inside. Underneath I used a buttercream crumb coat. I frosted a cake (from my freezer) but it was on the counter at least 30 min before I put the fondant on.
What do I do?
Do I poke with a pin?...seems like there is a lot of air in there.
Do I have to pull off and recover?

I need the cake for an auction tomorrow morning...maybe I should frost with blue tinted buttercream and call it good. I would rather fix the fondant problem if possible.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

3 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 4:59pm
post #2 of 4

It's probably because it was still partially frozen when the fondant went on. You could try popping the bubbles with a pin, but once the fondant has been on the cake for a while it gets a little hard on the outside and the bubbles may not just smooth out when popped.

Are you adding any design elements that could cover the problem spots? Like stripes or polka-dots?

JenniferMI Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 12:36am
post #3 of 4

My guess is, too, that the cake was still frozen.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Firewife54 Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 3:55am
post #4 of 4

Thanks for replying. I ended up pulling it off and using tinted buttercream. I am going to try fondant again but make sure I don't use a frozen cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%