Storing Fondant Accent Pieces?

Decorating By Thanksharla Updated 11 Dec 2009 , 10:42am by FleurDeCake

Thanksharla Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 3:33pm
post #1 of 11

I will be cutting out fondant accent pieces for a cake and can't remember what was said about storing them. How many days in advance can I make them before putting them on the cake?

10 replies
TexasSugar Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 5:12pm
post #2 of 11

If you want them to be flat you can cut them out any time. They will dry and harden a bit. If it is something you need to bend (such as shaping around the side of a round cake) then you want to cut it fresh.

Thanksharla Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

If you want them to be flat you can cut them out any time. They will dry and harden a bit. If it is something you need to bend (such as shaping around the side of a round cake) then you want to cut it fresh.

Thanks!! What do I use to attach them to buttercream that is crusted and smoothed over? A dap of fresh buttercream or melted chocolate?

dorie67 Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 10:16pm
post #4 of 11

I did a baby shower cake last weekend and I actually cut most of the fondant accent pieces that I was going to use the weekend before and stored them in an air tight container between sheets of waxed paper and they were as if they had just been cut when I opened the container to use them.HTH princess.gif

DeeDelightful Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 10:17pm
post #5 of 11

Paint the back of the accent piece with very little water and just apply it to the crusted buttercream.

TexasSugar Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 10:20pm
post #6 of 11

I usually use vanilla extact or piping gel. Fresh buttercream should work to.

Thanksharla Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 7:16am
post #7 of 11

Thanks everyone. With 3 young girls running around I have to make my cakes in stages. One stage a day...lol. Any tips are greatly appreciated!

FleurDeCake Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 8:39am
post #8 of 11

you can make your cut outs ...wrap them in plastic wrap and freeze them for as long as you need to. take them out 30 minutes before you are ready to use and they wll be just as though you just cut them... I use piping gel to attach.

zdebssweetsj Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 9:29am
post #9 of 11

Always good to know ways to save time.

Elise87 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 10:09am
post #10 of 11

Just wondering how far in advance can u make fondant pieces if you just want them flat? Could u do a week?

FleurDeCake Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 10:42am
post #11 of 11

a waeek is fine as long as you can use them dry and keep them out of the light or the colors will fade drastically

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%