How Much To Charge For Purse Cake?

Decorating By rkljazz Updated 10 Dec 2009 , 9:13pm by cakesbyperla

rkljazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkljazz Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 3:03pm
post #1 of 6

A lady ordered a Louis Vuitton purse cake and I've never done one before. It is very detailed and I'm not sure how much to charge. Here's a link to the picture:
http://www.louisvuitton.com/web/flash/index.jsp?direct1=cate&direct2=femme&direct3=cat1410448&direct4=cat1410449&direct5=prod1050009&langue=en_US&buy=1

It obviously won't be a very large cake but the amount of time and attention to detail will be significant. What would you charge for a cake like this?

5 replies
cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 5:56pm
post #2 of 6

Ok, so it looks like quite a bit of handpainting. Baking, sculpting, frosting, fondant, gumpaste handles, handpainting.....for a small one...I would start at $150.00

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 6:45pm
post #3 of 6

I can't open your link, which exact purse are you trying to show us? I have a minimum $250 for anything that doesn't come right out of a pan already shaped.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 6

Wait...The Speedy? That purse is a bout 12 inches long, and 8 inches tall. Probably 5 or 6 inches deep. That's a BIG cake. I'd be inclined to say 5 or 6 hundred.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 6

Didn't I read on CC somewhere about a caker being sued by Louis Vuitton, Inc. and LV, Inc. winning for selling an exact replica of one of their bags or was it some other high end designer purse company?

cakesbyperla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyperla Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 9:13pm
post #6 of 6

The Louis Vuitton purse I made was ordered by my brother. I only charged him $60. This was my first handbag cake so I wasn't sure how long it would take me or how it would look. So he was my guinea pig but it actually came out really cool. If anyone else asks for one the minimum is $150.00. Painting the logos without a template was very tedious and time consuming.
Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%