Is This Buttercream Or Fondant??

Decorating By The_Sugar_Fairy Updated 10 Dec 2009 , 4:32pm by Loucinda

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 9

Hello Everyone!
I'd like to make a cake similar to this one. My question is... do you think that the golf ball is made with buttercream or with fondant? I'd like to try making it with buttercream, let it crust, then press a ball tool into it to make the indents. Do you think that this would work? Any advice and/or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!
LL

8 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 2:50pm
post #2 of 9

I would say that's buttercream! Or really shiny fondant. I think it's BC though.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 2:51pm
post #3 of 9

It looks to me like it might be buttercream, but I would do fondant if I were making the cake. I'd just be afraid that the buttercream would have little cracks everywhere.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 2:53pm
post #4 of 9

I've made one in buttercream - do the indents BEFORE it crusts though....that way no cracking.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 2:54pm
post #5 of 9

I think it is fondant... try PMing the person who made it and ask. Include compliments and good cheer and maybe they will tell you how they did it. thumbs_up.gif

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 3:04pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I've made one in buttercream - do the indents BEFORE it crusts though....that way no cracking.

How do you do it BEFORE it crusts? Dip in cornstarch each time?

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 3:05pm
post #7 of 9

Yep, looks like bc to me. And the ball tool idea sounds perfect. You may want to dip the end of the ball tool into some ps first and then tap it to get rid of the extra because it may stick in some places even though the bc is crusted. You can lightly airbrush the whole thing afterwards with pearl luster dust mixed with vodka (or maybe just vodka) to get rid of any ps and to give it a bit of shine similar to a golf ball. But I would do this BEFORE piping the grass! Don't want the green to bleed onto your ball.
Have fun! thumbs_up.gif

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 4:26pm
post #8 of 9

I'm loving this cake. To me it looks like buttercream, the entire cake does. It's giving me an idea for my brothers birthday next week. I may use the paisley pan and do one hole of the course, complete with sandtraps and everything. It's his 50th birthday and want to do something special for him. It's either this or a Giants helmet, so far. I don't have any other ideas for him yet.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 4:32pm
post #9 of 9

diane is right, but the buttercream soaks up any P/S that might be left in the indents. Works like a charm!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%