Ganache And Bakers Chocolate

Decorating By cakelovincrazy Updated 11 Dec 2009 , 11:12pm by metria

cakelovincrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelovincrazy Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 1:10am
post #1 of 14

I've never made ganache before, but I have to for a friends cake this weekend and I was planning on using Bakers Chocolate. Has anyone ever used that type of chocolate before? I saw a recipe on the Bakers Chocolate website. I was wondering though how it would be if I used the unsweetened and semi-sweet mixed together because she doesn't like things really sweet. I was thinking if I used just unsweetened that it wouldn't be sweet enough.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

TIA

13 replies
tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 1:29am
post #2 of 14

I've used lots of different types of chocolates for ganache. Baker's Chocolate works fine, as long as it is the semi-sweet. Haven't ever tried using the unsweetened. However, I prefer to use chips. They melt better and more uniformly, getting the texture smoother easier, and they also just tend to make a better-behaving ganache, at least for me. I've tried Nestle semi-sweet with fine results and I've also tried more expensive Callebait chips wtih pretty much the same results, so whe I need to make ganache, I just use Nestle Semi-Sweet chips.

I will say if you are making white chocolate ganache though, do not use cheap white chocolate, and never, ever, ever use "white chips" from the grocery store. For white chocolate ganache, I use only Callebait White Chocolate Chips (which are spendy), but they give me the best results for a smooth, sturdy ganache.

Good luck!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 1:51am
post #3 of 14

My favorite is the Ghiradelli's chips from Sam's....mostly the 60% dark but also love the milk chocolate (although they are not at Sams....Hersheys is, but its not as good as Ghiridellis.)

I think the Ghiradelli is alot better than Toll House but obviously Callebut is good too....

I assume the bakers would work fine, I'd just grate it up and use it the same way.

cakelovincrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelovincrazy Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 3:44am
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie0809

I've used lots of different types of chocolates for ganache. Baker's Chocolate works fine, as long as it is the semi-sweet. Haven't ever tried using the unsweetened. However, I prefer to use chips. They melt better and more uniformly, getting the texture smoother easier, and they also just tend to make a better-behaving ganache, at least for me. I've tried Nestle semi-sweet with fine results and I've also tried more expensive Callebait chips wtih pretty much the same results, so whe I need to make ganache, I just use Nestle Semi-Sweet chips.

I think I will try the chocolate chips then because I believe they are much cheaper. Do you think off brands would work well too? I usually buy the Aldi store brand.

Do you know how much I would need and the ratios? I'm making a 3 layer(not tier) chocolate cake that will be filled with blackberry jam. Would 2 bags be enough and how much heavy cream should I use?

Also, would this ganache be the spread our poured type or can it do both? I was hoping to do some piping with it for decoration, would I just let it sit longer so that would be possible?

ONE last question if you don't mind, since you seem to have worked this much more. icon_smile.gif The entire cake will be covered in chocolate ganache do you have any suggestions for how I could write happy birthday on it? Would white candy melts work in a piping bag or one of those squeeze bottles?

Thank you so much for helping me with this. icon_biggrin.gif

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 1:27pm
post #5 of 14

I used to use Baker's exclusively...then I realized Sam's club sells Toll House and Ghiradelli. I now use Toll House. I have Ghiradelli for special occasions because it weighs less then Toll House and costs more. I realize you are paying for better chocolate, but I'm cheap and Toll House chips works well.

You could use grocery store brand chocolate. I don't see why not.

CakeDiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiosa Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 6:11am
post #6 of 14

What about Mercken's white chocolate - the candy melts - for a white chocolate ganache? The spreadable consistency NOT pourable? Anyone have experience using them?

niccicola Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 1:51pm
post #7 of 14

I haven't come across anything, but you'll never know if you don't try!!

Maybe you can use a small amount and see how it turns out?

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 5:02pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelovincrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie0809

I think I will try the chocolate chips then because I believe they are much cheaper. Do you think off brands would work well too? I usually buy the Aldi store brand.

Do you know how much I would need and the ratios? I'm making a 3 layer(not tier) chocolate cake that will be filled with blackberry jam. Would 2 bags be enough and how much heavy cream should I use?

Also, would this ganache be the spread our poured type or can it do both? I was hoping to do some piping with it for decoration, would I just let it sit longer so that would be possible?

ONE last question if you don't mind, since you seem to have worked this much more. icon_smile.gif The entire cake will be covered in chocolate ganache do you have any suggestions for how I could write happy birthday on it? Would white candy melts work in a piping bag or one of those squeeze bottles?

Thank you so much for helping me with this. icon_biggrin.gif

Aldi's is REAL chocolate and I've used it. Aldi is a european based store and their chocolates are usually VERY good. They also only carry Vanilla Extract not imitation. It's good also IMHO.

megmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megmarie Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 5:25pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

My favorite is the Ghiradelli's chips from Sam's....mostly the 60% dark but also love the milk chocolate (although they are not at Sams....Hersheys is, but its not as good as Ghiridellis.)

I think the Ghiradelli is alot better than Toll House but obviously Callebut is good too....

I assume the bakers would work fine, I'd just grate it up and use it the same way.

I just used the Ghiradelli 72% this week and loved it! Not sweet at all but not too bitter, smooth as a dream! I have also used bakers chocolate unsweetened with a small amount of sugar that I boil in with the whipping cream so it has a little bit of sweet to it.

CakeDiosa Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 6:14pm
post #10 of 14

If I use chocolate under white fondant instead of white chocolate will it show through? I've read elsewhere that it doesn't but could use some confirmation....

thanks ya'll!

niccicola Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 7:31pm
post #11 of 14

I use chocolate ganache under white fondant all the time and never have show-through. My fondant is semi-thick, about 1/4", I'd say.

Obviously, if the fondant is too thin, then it may show through, but then your problem isn't with ganache, it's with fondant rolling thickness.

CakeDiosa Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 8:29pm
post #12 of 14

1/4" is good. I'll roll it to 1/4". Thank you so much. Now I don't need to worry about the white choc ganache for this cake.

You all are the best!

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 10:41pm
post #13 of 14

I just used Bakers White Chocolate for my ganache and it worked great!!! It worked better than the Nestle chips I used last time!!

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 11:12pm
post #14 of 14

If you're on a budget, just use Nestle's semi-sweet morsels. It tastes just fine. Average Joe isn't going to be a highly-opinionated choco-holic. Last weekend I had a 12 oz. bag with 6 oz of heavy whipping cream. It was spreadable. Came out great: http://cakeoricandothat.blogspot.com/2009/12/ganache-completed.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%