Navy Blue Icing - Help!

Decorating By Nanabug Updated 10 Dec 2009 , 6:50pm by sadsmile

Nanabug Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 9

I am trying to make Navy blue icing and can not get the color right. I have used over 1/2 bottle of Americolor Navy Blue and it still is not correct. Should I just keep adding more and more? I would appreciate any help!!

Thank you,
Debra (Nanabug)

8 replies
leah_s Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 9:21pm
post #2 of 9

Wait. The color will change over time. Give it an hour.

Loucinda Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 9

This is what I used for navy and it came out perfect - do what leahs says and let it set for a while, it darkens with time.

Navy Blue - 5 parts royal blue, 2 parts super black & 2 parts violet

Nanabug Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 11:07am
post #4 of 9

I have let it sit overnight and the color is now what I would call a deep country blue-still not navy ....should I now add more Americolor Navy, or add black.... or what ?? The cake that I am making is an Auburn "AU" so i need a more true navy. It is due Saturday so I have a little more time to work with it - any other ideas??
Thanks in advance!

cashley Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 11:55am
post #5 of 9

Americolor colors will give you truer colors with less gel colouring. Wilton you would need bottles to make the color right. Try the americolor navy.

CakeDiane Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 12:23pm
post #6 of 9

Add some black at this point--and if the fondant gets too soft from adding all this color, add a little tylose

Nanabug Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 12:53pm
post #7 of 9

I am using buttercream icing, not fondant

Loucinda Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 12:56pm
post #8 of 9

Add the black and some of the violet. It really does make a deep navy blue - I wish I had something with the color I made on it so you could see.....I might still have some in the frig, I will go check.........

Sorry, all gone. Hope the coloring is going well for you!

sadsmile Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 6:50pm
post #9 of 9

How much butter cream are you coloring? You may just need more color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%