Sugar Glue Help Needed Please!

Decorating By Kayzr Updated 10 Dec 2009 , 4:36pm by mmgiles

Kayzr Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 8

I am making a Stay Puft Marshmallow Man to stand next to my brothers birthday cake. In a book I have it says to make sugar glue mix sugarpaste with boiling water and stir until it is a thick paste. My sugar glue never makes a thick paste.

I am making this for Saturday and I don't have a cake supplies shop near me. I have sugarpaste, icing sugar, gum tragacanth. Is it possible to make some glue, so his arms don't fall off, out of any of this?

Thank you!!

7 replies
mmgiles Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 8

Use less water to get a thicker paste

Kayzr Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 8:26pm
post #3 of 8

I've tried that. Not matter how little water I put in, it just never thickens up. I'm going to have some more tries tomorrow.

jules06 Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 6:00am
post #4 of 8

You can make an edible glue by mixing some cmc / tylose powder in water - stir it in well & it gradually sets to a clear gel.
Just adjust the amounts of water / tylose depending on how thick you want it icon_biggrin.gif

MrsNancyB1 Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 6:02am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules06

You can make an edible glue by mixing some cmc / tylose powder in water - stir it in well & it gradually sets to a clear gel.
Just adjust the amounts of water / tylose depending on how thick you want it icon_biggrin.gif

This is what I do, and it's a very reliable glue. I make all my figures with this glue.

Kayzr Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 10:02am
post #6 of 8

Thank you. I'll do that this afternoon. icon_biggrin.gif

Gingi Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 12:10pm
post #7 of 8

I boil about 1/4 cup water. Add 1/2 tsp. Tylose (Gum Tragacanth). Then I add about 1 Tbsp. of Fondant cut up in little bits. Put it in a small container that has a lid. Stir it up with a small spoon and when it has cooled, give it a good shake and the next day it is nice and thickish, all dissolved and ready to use. If you add fondant or gumpaste to your tylose mixture, it seems to strengthen the adhesion.

mmgiles Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 4:36pm
post #8 of 8

I usually just take a small ball of gumpaste and add about a half a teaspoon of water at a time and mix with a paintbrush until I get a gummy glue. I just add a small amount of water at a time if I need it thinner.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%