Fondat, Wire, And Curls....

Decorating By CiNoRi Updated 9 Dec 2009 , 10:52pm by Cakepro

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all,

I have done some searching on the forum here and have seen a lot of posts about how to attach fondant to the ends of wires. My question, Is there a trick to attaching/ making wire curls covered in fondant? ( see the image below)

I am actually trying to make a arms for a cartoon character, but i assume the process is the same.

Thanks everyone!
Erica

3 replies
marzipandoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marzipandoll Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 4

Can't wait for some answers, I just had wire questions myself!

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 10:15pm
post #3 of 4

I would think that those wires were dipped into 'pourable' fondant and left to harden. It may have even taken several dips to achieve that thickness on the wire.

That's just my guess, but someone else may give better insight.

icon_smile.gif

ETA: I also wanted to add, that the wires may not be covered in fondant at all, but rather modeling chocolate. The modeling chocolate is easy to smooth out imperfections, and can be molded to that shape of wire. Again, another guess. icon_razz.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 10:52pm
post #4 of 4

I have made things like this before. Use an extruder to create even ropes of gumpaste or 50/50. Insert a heavy gauge of straight wire (I would use 16 gauge as these spirals will be heavy!) into the bottom of each shape, feeding it up through the paste to the point where the paste begins to curve. You will need to use coffee stir straws in the cake filled with melted chocolate, into which you will insert the wire. The chocolate will set hard and the coffee stir straws will anchor the spirals in the cake beautifully. Never let any exposed wire touch the cake directly. If you tried putting the straight wire in the cake without the coffee stir straws, they would just fall out and jack up the cake in the process.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%