Can This Hobby Be Done With A Hand Mixer?

Decorating By Sabre3of4 Updated 10 Dec 2009 , 6:12am by 7yyrt

Sabre3of4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sabre3of4 Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 7:19am
post #1 of 28

Sigh, I want a KA or a Sunbeam. I lust after a Hobart 10 or 20 qt. mixer to the pit of my heart(used one before icon_twisted.gif )I have.... a lowly hand mixer. icon_redface.gif So can I do the mixing for stiff Buttercream and so forth with it? or am I SOL?

Sabrina

27 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 7:24am
post #2 of 28

Is it an electric hand mixer? Some of the newer hand mixers have pretty large motors for their size.

You would just need to make sure you make the batches of frosting, batter, etc. appropriate to the size of the mixer. Meaning you might have to make several small batches of frosting, not 6 qts. at one time.

HTH

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 7:49am
post #3 of 28

It can be done but your arm will get really tired holding that hand mixer and all the time thinking "if I had a KA I could be doing something else while my icing was mixing. " I would save up my pennies to buy one. You can check ebay or Craigs list to see if anyone has one for sale. You could even check with KA to see if they have any refurbished ones. Just a thought.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 12:50pm
post #4 of 28

It CAN be done ... but it's SO much better with a stand mixer. Like CakeRN said, you can do other stuff while it's mixing AND your arm doesn't turn to jello.

My very first stand mixer was a combo christmas gift .... my then-hubby and my parents plus one sister all chipped in to get me one. Maybe you can put that on your "I've been a very good girl this year!" list! icon_wink.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 4:37pm
post #5 of 28

I'm pretty sure they even made cakes before electricity icon_eek.gif

Mike

Rosa2745 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosa2745 Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 4:38pm
post #6 of 28

I used a hand mixer for a long time before I bought a stand mixer. My kids would literally hide from me because as soon as one of them passed by the kitchen I would say "Can you hold it, just for a little while". Ha! Well one day I was making royal icing and I burnt it out. YAY! I now had the perfect excuse to buy a stand mixer. I didn't get a super one. It only cost about $80 but it was well worth it. Now I want to buy another one but I'm holding out for a KA. So yes you can do without a stand mixer for a while but you'll get tired quick.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 4:39pm
post #7 of 28

I think it can be done...but the whole process will be much slower....

Jen icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 4:40pm
post #8 of 28

I used a hand mixer too for quite awhile before getting a stand mixer...the stand mixers are really important though once you start doing more than an occasional cake.

JFcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JFcakes Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 4:44pm
post #9 of 28

We are in a similar position. We want something substantial, but funds aren't available for it right now.

What we use instead, definitely helps us make do. It's actually not bad at all, and is better than doing it all by hand ...

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4229423/Trail/searchtext%3EMIXER.htm

Something like a KA will be out of our price range for a long time, so we have looked for an alternative. I came across this on ebay, and after watching the demo video on the link, it looks like an excellent contender! ...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250529726190&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Of course there is a slight problem in the fact that both items are sold in the UK, but maybe you have something similar in your country?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 4:49pm
post #10 of 28

Sign up for the Amazon.com emails and watch carefully...in the past I have gotten a 4.5 quart Kitchenaid mixer on there for $99 and free shipping!!!! I have since traded that one up for a second 6 qt but still... the opportunity for an affordable stand mixer is out there...I recommend especially watching right around Christmas and just after....also around New Years.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 4:59pm
post #11 of 28

they still make hand mixers? lol j/k

Until last christmas thats what I used, then from my wonderful hubby I got the ultra power 4.5 q KA..... and life has been great since then, I can imagine doing stuff without it now! Especially with a 2 year old running around!

BooBooKitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BooBooKitty Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 6:09pm
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Mike

Ahhh yes but did they make stiff buttercream and roses before electricity? lol.. Ahh back to the day of the simple cake. icon_smile.gif

Sabre~ Many MANY moons ago I made buttercream with a handmixer but I always had problems getting it to the right stiffness. I think it was because my arm was about to fall off.. lol.. Then I had to try making a batch of royal, and my mixer burned out.. lol.. I was doing the happy dance. I informed DH what I wanted from Santa that year.. When my new KA arrived I burried my old mixer in the backyard (j/k) and I never looked back..

VNatividad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VNatividad Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 6:11pm
post #13 of 28

I too recently started to bake cakes, only for class and cakes for family. I searched daily on ebay and craigslist for a used one. I finally lucked out at a yard sale. He was asking $65 for 4.5 quart Kitchen Aid and I honestly don't think the guy knew anything about the treasure he had. I actually had the guts to say " I have $60, will you take that?" He said yes!!! That was such a rush, no lie! Keep searching and pray!

Using a hand mixer is possible, I used butter cream recipe that took 1 cup of shortening and 4 cups of powered sugar that worked. It seemed to be the right amount my hand mixer could handle. Good luck!

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 6:14pm
post #14 of 28

I have/had a stand mixer. The sunbeam one and my boyfriend got his fingers wound in the beaters trying to fix it. Anyway, he did not get hurt but the mixer no longer will spin the beaters. My sister gave me her Sunbeam hand mixer and that baby is powerful. I makes a better batch of BC than the stand mixer. So now, I am going to invest in a KA in the next two months or so.

tguegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tguegirl Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 6:36pm
post #15 of 28

i JUST bought my first KA! It's the pro 600 6 qt. Before that, i was burning through hand mixers left and right. So yes, you can definitely use a hand mixer. I made cakes for 2 years using only a hand mixer. And while I was making my last cake, my hand mixer broke, so I mixed 2 batches of WASC, 3 batches of decorator's cream cheese frosting and 7 batches of mmf by hand! Believe me, a hand mixer is better than a spoon!

Stephi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephi1 Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 6:52pm
post #16 of 28

I have seen some great sales on Sunbeam stand mixers. Not as good as a KA but better than a hand mixer. I think I saw one for under $70 or something like that.

Stephi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephi1 Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 6:54pm
post #17 of 28

Actually, I just looked on Walmart.com and they have one for $49 and two better ones for $79 - I know it's still alot of money but just FYI!

Manotas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manotas Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 7:14pm
post #18 of 28

I started with a hand mixer, I burned it; it was a very cheap no name one. I got the work done, of course, but it would take at least twice the time to get the cake done.

My lovely DH felt sorry for me when the hand mixer burned I found a brand new 4.5q KA in my kitchen the next day after work!! Men, life has definetely been easier since then.

I really hope you can find a reaaly good deal and get you KA, it is worth every penny.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 7:25pm
post #19 of 28

You can do it, but if you can get a KA or some other wrist saver go for it!!!

I have burned through 3 handhelds until I got one with more HP. But I still make fondant by hand. Ya know a girl can break a wrist on fondant or at least get carpal tunnel syndrome... or is that from being a CC addict?

My hubby keeps pestering me for more cake and now I am gonna say I am on a cake strike until I get the right tools for the right job. He is a carpenter by trade so he should understand the difference between using a hand saw verses an electric one. Though money is tight right now- really tight. One day... icon_wink.gif

ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 7:43pm
post #20 of 28

I have a Sunbeam stand mixer it works for most recipes but for fondant and stuff like that I use KA

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 11:03pm
post #21 of 28

Not made before electricity?
Heres a small royal wedding cake journey through time.
http://www.clarasdesignercakes.com/blog/2009/05/24/royal-wedding-cakes-and-a-power-surge/

1858: Princess Victoria Vicky (Queen Victorias oldest child)
1863: King Edward VII and Princess Alexandra of Great Britain
1871: Princess Louise (sixth child of Queen Victoria)
1923: Prince Albert, later King George VI of England
and a bunch after electricity...

Sabre3of4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sabre3of4 Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 12:28am
post #22 of 28

Thanks for the encouragment folks...
My DH is laid-off right now so it will be a bit before I can get a stand mixer. icon_cry.gif
Yes, my mixer is electric and I have no problem with holding dessert hostage unless I have help with the icing mixing... icon_twisted.gif I don't really need alot of buttercream made at a time right now as I just started taking classes and am still building my baking kit back up to snuff.

Thanks for the reassuraceicon_smile.gif
Sabrina

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 12:45am
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Mike

icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

Not made before electricity?
Heres a small royal wedding cake journey through time.
http://www.clarasdesignercakes.com/blog/2009/05/24/royal-wedding-cakes-and-a-power-surge/

1858: Princess Victoria Vicky (Queen Victorias oldest child)
1863: King Edward VII and Princess Alexandra of Great Britain
1871: Princess Louise (sixth child of Queen Victoria)
1923: Prince Albert, later King George VI of England
and a bunch after electricity...

How illuminating. Thanks so much for sharing. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 12:45am
post #24 of 28

yeah 7yyrt I wonder what kind of molds they used way back when. Baking was by fire and you had to master the fire's temperature.

ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 1:55am
post #25 of 28

Wow! 7yyrt that's amazing

grams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grams Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 2:22am
post #26 of 28

I purchased a sunbeam stand mixer at the local thrift store and also one at a garage sale. I used these until I got my KA and still use one of them for smaller things or when I'm using the KA on something else. I've kept both of them for emergencies.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 4:31am
post #27 of 28

I used hand mixers for a while, but I burned out the motors of 2 hand mixers doing RI. So, that is something to be careful with.
You can survive without a KA indefinitely... icon_smile.gif Though, I'd prefer not to...I was just really lucky and got my KA as a wedding present. Didn't realize it at the time (cause I had just started decorating), but it was the best present ever! Keep saving- it's worth every penny!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 6:12am
post #28 of 28

Really, the only thing I need a mixer for is royal icing. I was never able to get that right with a hand mixer.
But stand mixers are easier for most things.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%