Chalky/gritty Buttercream?

Decorating By cas17 Updated 10 Dec 2009 , 4:43am by cakesrock

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 3:22am
post #1 of 2

well, it has happend now for the 4th time in the last couple years. i made a full batch of sugarshack buttercream in my 5qt KA and as it was going around for the 6min i always whip it, i could tell it was not gettin smooth like it's supposed to. tested it and yep, the chalking/gritty feeling. icon_cry.gif

i just do not understand what is causing this?? i only ever use domino's 10x in a 4lb bag from BJ's and hi ratio shortening and coffee creamer and flavorings. i did an advanced google search on CC and the only reason i kept seeing was people using store brand ps which i never use. it must be the ps though. could it be a microscopic hole in the bag and the sugar goes bad??? i always shake each and every bag to make sure there are no leaks or holes. it's just so frustrating and expensive to have to throw away an entire batch of bc.

please does anyone have any ideas or know of a way to fix this kind of problem? detective.gif or do i chalk it up to a typical loss in the cake business???? icon_mad.gif thanks guys!

1 reply
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 4:43am
post #2 of 2

I sometimes get gritty icing (BC or MMF) if I don't sift the icing sugar. It seems to be hit or miss. It's usually a total miss if I buy the cheap Walmart brand so I just sift it before use. But even Roger's is a gamble. I pour a bit out and decide whether I should sift. If it's BC, then I'll beat it longer - maybe that will work for you....HTH icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%